No matter the industry or conflict, litigation is a risk to any business. Time, opportunity, and reputation hang in the balance. When litigation cannot be avoided, businesses need legal counsel that can guide them through the dispute.
Taft’s Commercial Litigation team consists of more than 170 nationally and internationally recognized attorneys. We offer our clients a wealth of experience in the law and in the courts in which we practice, as well as a passion for using our experience to help solve client problems.
Our litigators represent public and private companies, municipalities and government bodies on a local, national and international scale. We are experienced with the full range of litigation issues that businesses encounter.
Our Commercial Litigation attorneys focus on:
- Advertising claims.
- Breach of contract / Unjust enrichment.
- Business torts (i.e., tortious interference / negligent misrepresentation).
- Business emergencies.
- Class action and multi-party litigation.
- Condemnation litigation.
- Construction claims and design contracts.
- Corporate and finance.
- Crisis management.
- Derivative actions.
- Education / school.
- Employment (contracts / non-competes).
- Estate and trust litigation.
- Equitable remedies.
- First amendment and media law.
- Foreign corrupt practices act and international anti-corruption.
- Franchise law.
- Government relations.
- Health care fraud and abuse.
- Insurance coverage litigation / bad faith.
- Municipal law.
- Patent and trademark litigation.
- Permit disputes.
- Personal injury / wrongful death (both plaintiffs and defendants).
- Professional malpractice.
- Real estate.
- Shareholder and partner meetings.
- Sports litigation.
- Tax controversy and litigation.
- Unfair competition.
We regularly appear before tribunals throughout the United States. We know the courts, their personnel, and the jury pools from which fact finders are drawn. While we are prepared to aggressively try cases to verdict, alternatives like mediation may provide a more cost-effective solution to solving a problem. Our litigators have represented clients and acted as mediators and arbitrators in all forms of alternative dispute resolution forums.
We also work to minimize the risks and exposure of doing business in today's litigious world. Our attorneys work with our clients to define, assess, and minimize litigation risks and to develop programs to help them comply with specific contractual requirements and with the laws and regulations that affect their business.
Our group is top-ranked by Best Lawyers in America for litigation in a variety of practice areas. We are also top-ranked by Chambers USA for commercial litigation in Indiana and Ohio. Our litigators are recognized individually by Best Lawyers in America; Chambers USA; Ohio, Illinois and Indiana Super Lawyers; and Benchmark Litigation.
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- Class Action, Derivative and Multi-Party Litigation
- Compliance, Investigations, and White Collar Defense
- Creditors' Rights
- Crisis Management
- ERISA Litigation
- Education - Litigation
- Eminent Domain
- Energy Litigation and Appeals
- Energy Regulatory and Administrative Proceedings
- Environmental Litigation
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility
- FCPA and International Anti-Corruption
- Government Contracts
- Insurance Recovery
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Internal Investigations
- International Trade
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- PFAS (Per-and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances)
- Patent Litigation
- Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences Litigation
- Privacy and Data Security
- Product Liability and Personal Injury
- Property Tax Litigation and Appeals
- Real Estate Litigation
- Securities - Litigation
- Tax Controversy and Litigation
- Wealth Transfer Litigation
- Whistleblower/Retaliation Defense
Ranked National Tier 1
by U.S. News – Best Lawyers®
2021 “Best Law Firms”
Protecting the Future of Animal Loan Agreements
Animal loan agreements are critically important to the protection of endangered species in human care. Taft represented the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden in enforcing the loan agreement the brought Ndume, a western lowland gorilla, safely back home.
The Right to Clean Water
A cattle farmer, the EPA and 70,000 individuals in West Virginia and Ohio took action against chemical giant DuPont for releasing a dangerous pollutant into the water and environment. Taft’s environmental and litigation lawyers championed the residents’ rights to safe, clean drinking water for over 17 years.