Who is Taft?
A Message from Our Chairman.
It is my honor to serve as the Chairman and Managing Partner of Taft.
Taft. It is one simple word which is the iconic name of an historic political and legal family and represents over 135 years as a venerable law firm. But, today we are a lot more than a firm with an outstanding heritage. Taft is a modern, progressive firm which is the trusted advisor to many successful clients and an employer of choice in each of our major markets.
To be the employer of choice in each of our markets, we maintain a highly respectful, transparent workplace culture which fosters creativity, teamwork, inclusion and diversity, and service to our clients and communities. We couple that culture with a play to win, client-first mindset where we reward lawyers who listen to and understand their clients’ goals and then think creatively and aggressively to advance those goals and the client’s ultimate success.
Deeply embedded in the culture of Taft is the significant investment we make in the communities where we live and practice. Taft lawyers contribute substantial time and resources to many charitable and community organizations and activities. We also do meaningful pro bono work for those in need. As an essential part of our culture, Taft celebrates and provides time and dollars to Taft professionals who support charities, give back to their communities, or do pro bono work. Why? Because Taft and its professionals are fortunate to have the means to help others with fewer resources. Giving back is a concept which is part of the fabric of who we are, and we want to make a meaningful and positive difference in our communities.
Finally, Taft prides itself on being different from other firms. Those differences primarily exist in Taft’s outstanding workplace culture, its obsessive client-first mentality and service, and its approach to leadership. We believe we are the only firm of our size and scale which does not have a physical headquarters or “mothership.” To the contrary, we take pride in having an empowered, geographically dispersed management team composed of leaders from every one of our major markets and practice groups. Taft has a servant leadership model, and we work collaboratively to deliver the full breadth of the Taft toolbox throughout the Taft footprint to obtain the very best and most efficient results for all of our clients.
At Taft, we look forward to delivering results for our clients, communities and each other. After 135 years, our journey has just begun.
Robert J. Hicks
Taft Chairman and Managing Partner
Taft attorneys are consistently recognized for their accomplishments by their peers and by prestigious publications covering the legal profession. Following is a sampling of why Taft is among the most respected law firms in America.
- 69 Taft attorneys are listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. In addition, Taft is named a leading law firm in Chambers USA in 29 practice areas:
Banking & Finance (Ohio)
Construction (Minnesota, Ohio)
Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions (Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio)
Environment (Indiana, Ohio)
Gaming & Licensing (Nationwide)
Intellectual Property (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio)
Labor & Employment (Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio)
Litigation: General Commercial (Indiana, Minnesota, Ohio)
Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (Ohio)
Natural Resources & Environment (Ohio)
Real Estate (Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio)
Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use (Illinois)
- Eight Taft attorneys are listed in Chambers High Net Worth (HNW), and the firm is named a leading law firm in the HNW guide in Private Wealth Law for Indiana, Minnesota, and Ohio and in Family/Matrimonial: High Net Worth in Ohio.
- Taft has been named to the 2023 Am Law 100, ranked as the 82nd largest firm in the United States by revenues, as reported by The American Lawyer.
- Taft is ranked among Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms.” Taft received 20 national Tier 1 rankings, and Tier 1 rankings by metropolitan area in 137 practice areas.
- 306 Taft attorneys were honored with inclusion in the most recent edition of The Best Lawyers in America® with an additional 117 attorneys honored in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch. 20 Taft attorneys were recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers.
- 112 Taft attorneys were named to the most recent list of Super Lawyers by Super Lawyers magazine.
- 78 Taft attorneys were named to the most recent list of Rising Stars by Super Lawyers magazine.
- 52 Taft attorneys in the Cincinnati office were named as Leading Lawyers by Cincy magazine.
- 53 Taft attorneys are listed in the Illinois Leading Lawyers Network.
- Taft was listed in BTI Consulting Group’s elite Client Service ranking for 2023.
- Taft is rated a Highly Recommended Firm in Indiana and Ohio as well as a Recommended Firm in Minnesota by Benchmark Litigation, and Taft attorneys hold 22 rankings by Benchmark in one or more categories.
Each year, Taft gives internal awards to deserving recipients.
Thank you to all the deserving people at Taft – attorneys and staff – who dedicate themselves every day to our clients, the firm, and each other.
Shattered Glass Award
Awarded to a Taft attorney – regardless of gender – who advances inclusiveness, actively works to break down barriers, and elevates the respect, involvement, and leadership of women attorneys in the firm.
The Robert A. Taft Service and Leadership Award
Awarded to a Taft partner who epitomizes the true ideals of what it means to be a Taft partner through her or his dedicated efforts, service, and leadership.
Taft Legacy Award
Awarded to a Taft employee who has made a significant and lasting contribution to the firm which will result in an overall positive impact on the legacy of Taft.
Taft Hard Hat Award
Awarded to a Taft employee who, in often difficult and thankless circumstances, quietly and tirelessly delivers outstanding results.
2023 Recipient: Cathy Howard
Taft Trailblazer Award
Awarded to a Taft employee who has blazed a new trail for Taft’s future through the development of one or more innovative programs or solutions.
Taft Courage in Leadership Award
Awarded to a Taft employee who leads by example and has shown selfless courage in their impactful contributions to advance the firm.
Outstanding Service Award
Awarded to a Taft employee who demonstrates a deep commitment to the future of the firm, embodies the One Taft mentality, and goes above and beyond to position the firm for success.
Awarded to Taft attorneys who best exemplify Taft’s commitment to giving back to its communities through the time, talent, and energy invested into pro bono cases.
2024 Recipients: Earl Messer and Jamal Knight
2023 Recipient: Andrew Murphy
2022 Recipients: Sonya Jindal Tork, Nadine McSpadden, and Brian Morris
2021 Recipients: Drew Baese, Blair Harrington, Claire Joseph, Alex Wolf (2019-2020 Pro Bono Law Clerk), Susan Wheatley, Nicollette Khauns and Russell Menyhart
Congratulations to all of our award recipients.
Full Legal Name
Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP
Total Number of Lawyers
Total Number of Lawyers, Paralegals, and Staff
Taft operates under a non-headquarter model.
- Chicago, Ill.
- Cincinnati, Ohio
- Cleveland, Ohio
- Columbus, Ohio
- Dayton, Ohio
- Delaware, Ohio
- Denver, Colo.
- Detroit, Mich.
- Indianapolis, Ind.
- Minneapolis, Minn.
- Northern Kentucky
- Washington, DC
- Robert J. Hicks, Chairman and Managing Partner
- Cezar M. Froelich, Chairman, Chicago
- Paul T. Jenson, Partner-in-Charge, Chicago
- James M. Zimmerman, Partner-in-Charge, Cincinnati
- Jill Friedman Helfman and Adrian D. Thompson, Co-Partners-in-Charge, Cleveland
- Janica Pierce Tucker, Partner-in-Charge, Columbus
- Jennifer Hann Harrison, Partner-in-Charge, Dayton
- Mark G. Cooper, Partner-in-Charge, Detroit
- Bradley W. Schwer, Partner-in-Charge, Indianapolis
- Justin Weinberg, Partner-in-Charge, Minneapolis
- Robert K. McBride, Partner-in-Charge, Northern Kentucky
- Lacy M. Johnson, Partner-in-Charge, Washington, DC