Since joining Taft in 1982, Margaret has developed a proficiency negotiating licenses and technology transfer agreements in high-stakes industries that include biomedical technology, software, e-commerce, data storage and security, publishing and franchising. As a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property group, Margaret’s practice focuses on trademark, trade secret, copyright and right of publicity.
Margaret also oversees the registration and maintenance of IP portfolios in the United States and foreign countries and assists clients with cross-border transactions. In the past, she worked on a variety of business and transactional matters at Taft, including mergers, acquisitions and financing transactions.
Margaret has exemplified the Taft commitment to collaboration in every project. With clients ranging from start-up businesses, inventors and nonprofit organizations to well-established research institutions, banks and corporations, Margaret has a reputation for helping clients navigate sensitive and complex issues.
Margaret currently serves on the firm’s executive committee and as chair of the firmwide communication committee. She previously served as a member of the firm’s recruiting committee.
Margaret graduated from Dartmouth College, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, and received her J.D. from Harvard Law School. She is a member of the Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Association and the Intellectual Property Law Section of the American Bar Association and serves as Vice President of the Harvard Law School Association of Cincinnati. A published writer and lecturer in trademark, copyright and licensing law, Margaret regularly participates in and moderates the International Trademark Association’s roundtable discussions concerning the right of publicity, trademark and other intellectual property topics.
Leading Women in Law – Leading Woman (1999)
Honoree, Copyright Law, Corporate Law, Information Technology Law and Trademark Law (2009-2017) – Best Lawyers in America®
Lawyer of the Year for Cincinnati Information Technology Law (2016) – Best Lawyers in America®
Lawyer of the Year for Cincinnati Trademark Law (2015) – Best Lawyers in America®
Honoree, Intellectual Property (2011-2017) – Chambers USA
Honoree, Intellectual Property (2004-2007, 2015-present) – Ohio Super Lawyers
Honoree, Copyright & Trademark - Leading Lawyers (2006-present)
Top 10 Tristate Women in Business Law (2007) – Cincy Women’s Business Magazine
All Service Areas
- Harvard Law School (1982)
- Dartmouth College (1979)
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- State - Ohio
- AV Peer Review Rating (LexisNexis/Martindale-Hubbell) (Awarded)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Cincinnati Bar Association (Member)
- Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- International Trademark Association (Roundtable Moderator)
- Leadership Cincinnati (Class XXIV)
- One Hundred Wise Women (Wise Woman/Speaker)
- Doorstep Music, Inc. (Former Board Member)
- Economics Center at University of Cincinnati (Trustee, Board of Trustees)
- Executive Service Corps of Cincinnati (Former Member, Board of Trustees)
- Greater Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce (Steering Committee of Leadership Cincinnati)
- Greater Cincinnati Foundation (Leadership Council of The Women's Fund)
- Harvard Club of Cincinnati (Past President)
- Harvard Law School Association (Secretary)
- International Dyslexia Association (Legal Advisor/Southern Ohio Board Member)
- Seven Hills School (Board Member)
- Shriners Hospital for Children (Volunteer)