Cid is a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent-rated lawyer who helps clients resolve corporate finance and securities, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and gaming-related matters. Cid often draws from his extensive experience working in the boardrooms as both a lawyer and director of various small and large privately-held and publicly-traded companies when advising his clients.
Cid’s practice runs the gamut of corporate and gaming-related legal matters, including commercial real estate transactions, corporate governance and securities matters, internal investigations, capital restructuring, mergers, acquisitions and regulatory issues. Cid has advised the State of New York, multiple Massachusetts cities, large gaming organizations and institutional investors in connection with gaming matters. Cid has also represented investment banking and brokerage firms, publicly-held and privately-held entities, boards of directors, audit, compliance and compensation committees. Cid’s comprehensive knowledge of corporate, securities and gaming law and insider’s perspective about corporate governance issues are among the reasons why he has been named a Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America for Gaming since 2006.
Cid received his J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law and received his B.A. from Loyola University of Chicago. Cid also founded the law firm Shefsky & Froelich Ltd. and served as its Managing Partner/Chairman prior to its merger with Taft in 2014. He is currently the Chairman of the Chicago office of Taft.
Honoree, Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America for Gaming (2017)
Member, Leading Lawyers Network
Honoree, Illinois Super Lawyers (2005-2011, 2017-2018)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Gaming Law
All Service Areas
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (1970)
- Loyola University of Chicago (1967)
- State - Illinois
- Represents a large real estate services firm with international operations in connection with its sale to a strategic buyer with global offices.
- Represents several portfolio companies of private equity funds in corporate matters and sales transactions.
- Assists Board of Director members (including Audit Committee members) of two large NYSE and NASDAQ publicly-traded companies in connection with corporate governance and securities matters, the establishment of internal controls and procedures, conducting internal investigations related to various matters reported to the Boards and Audit Committees and other corporate matters.
- Represents the State of New York in connection with certain gaming matters.
- Represented an NYSE listed entity in connection with a going private transaction and oversaw settlement of class action litigation in connection with the transaction.
- Represented a large institutional investor in connection with reorganizing the capital structure of an entity owning casinos in multiple jurisdictions in Canada.
- Assists several large gaming companies and institutional investors in connection with acquisition, regulatory and other gaming matters.
- Represents cities in Massachusetts in connection with gaming matters.