Janica is the partner-in-charge of the Taft Columbus office. Her practice focuses on representing clients in all aspects of employment and labor law. She advises employers regarding legal planning and policy analysis and formulation, including preparation of employee handbooks and represents colleges and universities regarding labor and employment matters, public records, and tenure decisions. She also represents primary and secondary schools. She also represents employers in defense against a broad range of employment claims including sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wrongful discharge matters. As a litigator, Janica is also active in other aspects of civil trial, appellate litigation and commercial litigation as part of her practice. She is also Title IX certified. She provides Title IX training, conducts investigations that include Title IX, Clery, and VAWA.
Active in the community, Janica has been recognized by her peers on numerous occasions. She is a 2018 Fellow for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity and is listed in Ohio Super Lawyers for employment and labor law. Janica is a member of Taft’s Executive Committee and serves as co-chair of Taft’s firm wide Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- Represents employers in planning and preparing policies, handbooks, and procedures for respective companies.
- Represents high level executives and management in employment, separation and non-compete agreements.
- Assist clients in management of and navigation through electronic discovery, including database management and production of electronic information.
- Represents physician practice groups and other healthcare service providers in labor and employment matters and government compliance such as affirmative action plans.
- Represents higher education institutions and secondary education institutions in labor and employment matters, advising clients regarding internal investigations and/or conducting internal investigations.
- Provide management and staff training on employment policies and procedures, such as harassment prevention and management and leadership training.
- Represents employers in a broad range of employment matters including sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wrongful discharge matters.
- Tried six jury trials; two as first chair.
- Argued appeals in Sixth Circuit and Tenth District Courts.
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America
All Service Areas
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (2002)
- University of Tennessee, B.A. (1999)
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- State - Ohio
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
Speeches and Publications
- 54th Annual Midwest Labor & Employment Law Seminar - Overview of Employment Causes of Action (2017)
- 2017 Chester Professionalism Institute - Why Do We Care About Technology Core Competence (2017)
- Conway Business Center HR Peer Group - From Recruitment to Hiring to Firing (2017)
- Buckeye Association of School Administrators' Adminiscope - FMLA Refresher for Schools (2017)
- Columbus Business First - EEOC vs. the Courts: Long-Term Leave (2017)
- Columbus CEO Magazine - New Rules for Overtime Pay (August 2016)
- National Business Institute - Legal Issues in Recruiting and Hiring (2016)
- HR Profile Inc. - Legalized & Medicinal Marijuana's Potential Impact on the Workplace (2015)
- Columbus Bar Association - Master Class Employment Law Institute "EEOC Update" (2015)
- Cities & Villages - The Ohio Municipal League - "ADA, FMLA, PDA & USERRA Leaves - Oh My!" - Co-author (2015)
- Ohio State Bar Association - Employment Law Select Issues - "Pregnancy and USERRA" (2014)
- Ohio State Bar Association - Employment Law Updates (2013)
- Capital University Law School Labor and Employment Seminar, “Pending Labor and Employment Legislation under the Obama Administration” (2010)
- Chester Professionalism Institute - Demonstrative Evidence (2007)
- Columbus Bar Association
Member, Ethics Committee (2007 - present)
Editorial Board Better Lawyer (2007 - present)
Member, Judicial Screening Committee (2007 - present)
- John Mercer Langston Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Member, Council of Delegates
Member, Labor and Employment Section Council
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County
- Ohio Supreme Court
Commissioner, Board of Grievances and Discipline (2009 - present)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD)
- Central Ohio Academy for Justice
Member (2004 - present)
- Ohio Diversity Council
- Leadership Columbus
Fellow, Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (2018)