Janica is the partner-in-charge of the Taft Columbus office. Her practice focuses on representing clients in all aspects of employment and labor law. She advises employers regarding legal planning and policy analysis and formulation, including preparation of employee handbooks and represents colleges and universities regarding labor and employment matters, public records, and tenure decisions. She also represents primary and secondary schools. She also represents employers in defense against a broad range of employment claims including sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wrongful discharge matters. As a litigator, Janica is also active in other aspects of civil trial, appellate litigation and commercial litigation as part of her practice. She is also Title IX certified. She provides Title IX training, conducts investigations that include Title IX, Clery, and VAWA.
Active in the community, Janica has been recognized by her peers on numerous occasions. She is a 2018 Fellow for the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity and is listed in Ohio Super Lawyers for employment and labor law. Janica is a member of Taft’s Executive Committee and serves as co-chair of Taft’s firm wide Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- Represents employers in planning and preparing policies, handbooks, and procedures for respective companies.
- Represents high level executives and management in employment, separation and non-compete agreements.
- Assist clients in management of and navigation through electronic discovery, including database management and production of electronic information.
- Represents physician practice groups and other healthcare service providers in labor and employment matters and government compliance such as affirmative action plans.
- Represents higher education institutions and secondary education institutions in labor and employment matters, advising clients regarding internal investigations and/or conducting internal investigations.
- Provide management and staff training on employment policies and procedures, such as harassment prevention and management and leadership training.
- Represents employers in a broad range of employment matters including sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wrongful discharge matters.
- Tried six jury trials; two as first chair.
- Argued appeals in Sixth Circuit and Tenth District Courts.
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor
(2019 - 2022)
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars
(2005 - 2017)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America® (2018 - present)
Labor & Employment Star, Benchmark Litigation
Honoree, 40 Under 40, Columbus Business First
Honoree, Columbus CEO "Top Lawyers," Labor & Employment
Honoree, Ohio Diversity Council
Presidential Award, Ohio Access to Justice Foundation
All Service Areas
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (2002)
- University of Tennessee, B.A. (1999)
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- State - Ohio
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
Speeches and Publications
- Ohio State Bar Association - Speaker, “Consulting the Experts: How to Influence the Public’s Understanding of Judicial Independence” (2021)
- Ohio Women's Bar Association & Ohio Women's Bar Foundation Annual Meeting and Conference - “Who Gets the Credit” Addressing the Gap in Recognition for Women & Minorities (2021)
- 2020 Inclusion Summit Virtual Leadership Series: “How are Employers and Employees Functioning During this Unprecedented Period of Pandemic and Civil Unrest” (2020)
- Columbus CEO Magazine webinar - “Diverse Leaders in Law” (2020)
- “Establishing an Inclusive and Inviting Environment: A Panel Discussion on Race and Racism in the Workplace and the American Legal System” Webinar (2020)
- Employers Resource Association - “Employment Law Update and Employer Best Practices” (2019)
- Ohio State Bar Association - “Basics of Employment Law: Wage and Hour Update” (2019)
- Conway Center for Family Business - “Medical Marijuana & CBD Oil: How to Align Federal, State, Local, and Business Laws and Values” (2019)
- Employers Resource Association - “ADA: What is a “Reasonable” Accommodation – Is it Ever Enough?” (2018)
- Ohio State Bar Association - “I Want Them Fired Today – What Must You Do” (2018)
- 54th Annual Midwest Labor & Employment Law Seminar – “Overview of Employment Causes of Action” (2017)
- 2017 Chester Professionalism Institute - “Why Do We Care About Technology Core Competence" (2017)
- Conway Business Center HR Peer Group - “From Recruitment to Hiring to Firing” (2017)
- Buckeye Association of School Administrators' Adminiscope – “FMLA Refresher for Schools” (2017)
- Columbus Business First – “EEOC vs. the Courts: Long-Term Leave” (2017)
- Columbus CEO Magazine – “New Rules for Overtime Pay” (2016)
- National Business Institute – “Legal Issues in Recruiting and Hiring” (2016)
- HR Profile Inc. – “Legalized & Medicinal Marijuana's Potential Impact on the Workplace” (2015)
- Columbus Bar Association - Master Class Employment Law Institute - “EEOC Update” (2015)
- Columbus Bar Association
Advisory Board Managing Partners' Diversity Initiative
Former Member, Ethics Committee
Former Member, Editorial Board Better Lawyer
Former Member, Judicial Screening Committee
- Federal Bar Association
- John Mercer Langston Bar Association
- Ohio Management Lawyers Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Former Member, Council of Delegates
Former Member, Labor and Employment Section Council
- Ohio Supreme Court
Former Commissioner, Board of Grievances and Discipline
- Ohio Women's Bar Association
- Women Lawyers of Franklin County
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity
- Columbus Metropolitan Club
- Legal Aid Society of Columbus
- Leadership Columbus
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- RAPID 5