Bob serves as Chairman of the Executive Committee and Managing Partner of Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP. Together with his core team of seasoned transactional attorneys, Bob focuses his practice on complex business and commercial transactions, private equity and venture capital transactions, mergers and acquisitions, structured financings, business advisory services, and structural tax matters. He serves as outside counsel for the largest private equity fund in Indiana, along with several other substantial and successful businesses.
For an attorney in private practice, Bob has a unique perspective and experience to offer his clients in their business decisions and transactions. He took a hiatus from the private practice of law from 1996 through 2001 (working in Chicago, Toronto and Manhattan) and gained substantial experience in Wall Street transactional work and as a corporate executive. During that period, Bob served as Executive Vice President of Strategic Development for the CIT Group, the second largest finance company in the United States, and was one of the principal dealmakers and senior executives responsible for over $25 billion of Wall Street asset-backed securitizations, senior and structured debt financings, and acquisition transactions. He also served as the General Manager of the largest U.S. financing division of Newcourt Credit Group, CIT’s predecessor. Bob also managed a venture capital and private equity portfolio of approximately $100 million for CIT and ultimately led its largest portfolio company, RealMed Corporation, as its Chairman and CEO. Bob began his career with Arthur Anderson as a tax professional and passed the CPA examination (first sitting).
Bob is a 1986 graduate of the William and Mary Law School, Williamsburg, Va., where he was Order of the Coif and a member of the William and Mary Law Review. He is a 1984 graduate of Butler University, Indianapolis, Ind. (with high honors, Accounting).
Honoree, Chambers USA, Mergers & Acquisitions
"Lawyer of the Year" Honoree, Best Lawyers in America® (2014, 2017, 2019)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America® (2007 – present)
Honoree, Indiana Super Lawyers (2004 - present)
Distinguished Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation
Leadership in Law Distinguished Barrister Honoree, The Indiana Lawyer
All Service Areas
- William and Mary Law School (1986)
- Order of the Coif
- Member of the William and Mary Law Review
- Butler University, B.A., Business Administration and Accounting (high honors), minor in Journalism (1984)
- State - Indiana
Note: Bob, together with his core team of approximately 15 full-time professionals, serves as lead counsel on approximately $2 to $3 billion of merger and acquisition transactions a year. The following is a sampling of transactions over the last five years and a few earlier transactions in his career.
2019 Representative Transactions:
- Counsel to private equity sponsor in connection with a platform acquisition of a leading provider of durable medical equipment for use in hospice care.
- Counsel to private equity sponsor in connection with a platform acquisition of a leading provider of private investigation services to the insurance industry.
- Counsel to leading clinic-based autism therapy business, and its management team, in private equity-backed divestiture.
2018 Representative Transactions:
- Structured, advised and served as lead counsel for the selling party in a “reverse dutch auction” buyout transaction for the leading independent solar energy developer in the U.S., together with the arrangement of a capital and finance raise of approximately $375MM.
- Counsel to U.S. leading medical billing and revenue cycle management company in connection with its recapitalization and minority shareholder buyout.
- Counsel to private equity fund portfolio company in connection with a follow-on investment of a software development business that provides software and services for grants management and disaster recovery programs.
- Counsel to leading online provider of business formation and related services to strategic acquirer in the U.S.
- Counsel to U.K. company in connection with the sale to a U.S. public company of a U.S. subsidiary engaged in the business of supplying plumbing, lighting and building products to the manufactured housing, RV and industrial sectors.
- Counsel to private equity funds in connection with a platform acquisition of a Canadian company engaged in the business of importing, packaging, selling and distributing a wide range of produce throughout Canada.
- Counsel to private equity sponsor in connection with a platform acquisition of a Canadian company which provides services for tracking, monitoring, protecting and controlling remote assets and workers.
- Counsel to private equity sponsor in connection with platform acquisition of a designer and manufacturer of branded, patented, and rugged protective cases for mobile phones, laptops, and tablets.
- Counsel to private equity funds in connection with the divestiture of a portfolio company engaged in the business of providing engineered de-sanding solutions to high pressure oil and gas wells.
- Counsel to private equity fund portfolio company in connection with a follow-on investment of a software development company focused on emergency grants management.
- Counsel to private equity funds in connection with the divestiture of a portfolio company engaged in the business of providing mobile air and water treatment solutions customized to meet the compliance of specific environmental issues.
- Counsel to private equity funds in connection with a platform acquisition of a manufacturer and distributor of bath, skin, home, and cleaning products.
- Counsel to private equity sponsor in connection with a platform acquisition of a provider of merchandising solutions for the beverage industry.
2017 Representative Transactions:
- Counsel to a health care issuer of $500 million of growth capital consisting of $200 Million of private equity and a companion $300 million of senior, syndicated debt.
- Counsel to private equity funds in connection with their divestiture of a portfolio company engaged in the business of providing dental insurance.
- Counsel to seller of a family-owned waste collection, recycling and disposal service and landfill company.
- Counsel to purchaser of advanced technology company specializing in improving retail profitability and analytics.
- Counsel to seller of an Ontario, Canada based, industry leading pharmaceutical distributor.
- Counsel to purchaser of a leading provider of branded consumer foods.
2016 Representative Transactions:
- Counsel to seller of loss prevention and merchandising solution provider for mobile product retailers and consumer electronics manufacturers.
- Counsel to purchaser of intelligent retail cart solutions company.
- Counsel to purchaser of a leading provider of wireless telematics modules.
- Counsel to seller of certified steel castings and forgings and metal parts to leading railroads and railcar builders.
- Counsel to seller of a construction equipment manufacturer.
2015 Representative Transactions:
- Counsel to seller of a leading marketing and sales messaging, tools and training company.
- Counsel to seller of a leading independent right-of-way consultant in North America.
- Counsel to seller of one of the largest and most prominent crane rental, hauling and rigging companies in the U.S.
- Counsel to purchaser of a leading distributor to the pharmaceutical industry that specializes in ophthalmic pharmaceuticals to clinics across Canada.
- Counsel to purchaser of a preferred dental benefit provider for employer groups in Indiana and Kentucky.
- Counsel to purchaser of a premier provider of accountability training and management consulting.
- Counsel to purchaser of a provider of patient support programs for therapeutic disciplines.
- Counsel to purchaser of a builder and designer of custom groundwater treatment equipment for environmental petroleum and construction industries all across North America.
- Counsel to a workforce accommodations provider in a refinancing transaction related to funded debt.
- Counsel to client in its recapitalization and sale of a family-owned company to a New York-based division of a Swedish investment company.
- Counsel to purchaser of a communications company specializing in marketing and sales enablement content.
- Counsel to purchaser of a provider of camp and catering services for the oil and gas industry.
- Counsel to purchaser of a company specializing in tablet accessories and enclosures for business applications.
- Counsel to an engineering de-sanding solutions provider to high pressure oil and gas wells in connection with expansion of its business into the U.S., including international tax planning.
- Counsel to a mobile technology company in connection with expanding its business into Ireland and Mexico, including the creation of foreign subsidiaries and related international tax planning.
- Counsel to purchaser of a provider of innovative air and water treatment solutions.
- Counsel to purchaser of a manufacturer and supplier of freight car parts for the North American rail industry.
- Counsel to purchaser of a supplier of industry standard freight car parts.
- Counsel to purchaser of a manufacturer and marketer of geotechnical measurement instruments which serve a wide variety of end markets, including oil and gas, utility, mining and infrastructure.
- Counsel to seller of a manufacturer of replacement windshields and specialty glass for the RV and truck industry.
- Counsel to five private equity fund portfolio companies in connection with refinancing and recapitalization transactions related to their funded debt and equity capital.
- Counsel to purchaser of stock from a health care services company and in a merger involving the purchase of a competitor with approximately 60 shareholders.
- Counsel to seller via a merger transaction with a publicly traded corporation that is traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Counsel to purchaser involving two acquisitions of leading designers and manufacturers of packaging products.
- Counsel to purchaser of a provider of advanced revenue cycle management solutions.
- Counsel to purchaser of a restaurant concept and two related restaurants.
- Counsel to purchaser in three separate acquisitions of leading providers of corrugated packaging products.
- Counsel to seller of a leading designer, manufacturer and distributor of medical and surgical products and devices.
- Counsel to purchaser of an award-winning business and financial acumen sales training company.
- Counsel to seller of a leading designer, manufacturer and installer of complex, high-quality assembly automation tooling systems for the aerospace and defense industry.
- Counsel to seller of a leading distributor of drums and rotors, chassis and hydraulics parts to the automotive aftermarket.
- Counsel to seller of a contract manufacturer of complex machine parts and assembly structures for leading military and commercial aerospace customers.
- Counsel to purchaser of a large U.S. energy safety provider and a recapitalization.
- Counsel to purchaser of a leading provider of high pressure sand recovery services to the oil and gas industry.
- Counsel to one of the leading providers of medical billing services and flexible practice management solutions for hospital-based doctors in the purchase of multiple medical management companies and the simultaneous recapitalization of the purchaser.
- Counsel for an asset exchange transaction valued at approximately $6 million whereby client transferred franchise rights in a specific restaurant back to franchisor in exchange for new restaurant concept.
- Counsel to purchaser of the bottling and warehousing business and operations of a whiskey distillery.
- Counsel to a large Indiana insurance company in connection with it raising approximately $125 million in additional equity capital to be utilized for its acquisition of another $2 billion insurance company.
- Counsel to a seller of substantially all of its assets including operating subsidiaries in Brazil, France and Germany.
- Counsel to utility company in connection with obtaining a $90 million credit facility with the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 2009.
- Counsel to purchaser of a leading provider of highly engineered remote and semi-remote operated composite robotics systems and equipment primarily used in the decontamination and decommissioning of nuclear sites in the U.S., Canada and Great Britain.
- Counsel to purchaser of the largest independent aerial equipment rental, sales and service company in the Central and Northern Indiana markets in 2008.
- Counsel to purchaser of a leading provider of land and right-of-way services and land records management in the U.S.
- Counsel to purchaser or the worldwide leading provider of branded de-shedding products to the pet industry.
- Counsel to private equity fund in connection with its participation, as a mezzanine investor, in the recapitalization of nearly $1 billion of senior and subordinated indebtedness of an Indiana-based gaming investment and development company.
- Counsel to purchaser of three separate healthcare distribution businesses for a NASDAQ company.
- Counsel to NASDAQ company in its sale of a United Kingdom subsidiary engaged in the manufacture and sale of armored equipment to the defense industry.
- Counsel to seller of a large California-based manufacturer for the defense industry.
- Counsel to seller of Indian gaming casino in Palm Springs, California.
- Counsel to purchaser of standard-bred pari-mutuel race track in Prince Georges County, Maryland (adjacent to Washington, D.C.).
- Counsel to purchaser of Harrah’s Casino in Central City, Colorado.
- Counsel to seller of the premier ambulance manufacturer in the United States.
- Counsel in establishing a $500 Million Project Finance Fund for CIT.
- Counsel in establishing over $5 billion of asset-backed securitization facilities (including single seller and multi-seller facilities) for CIT between 1996 and 1999.
- Business Executive of CIT in charge of the formation and development of Snap-on Credit Corporation and the purchase of a $650 million lease portfolio from Snap-on Tools Corporation.
- Organizer and Counsel to CIT in the formation of Dell Financial Services, L.P., the world’s largest independent vendor finance company doing approximately $10 billion annually in financing business in approximately 60 countries.
- Counsel to promoters and owners in development and organization of Anderson, Indiana horse track gaming venture.
- Counsel to promoter and owners in development and organization of Lawrenceburg, Indiana riverboat gaming venture.
- American Bar Association
Member, Business Law and Taxation Sections
- Indiana CPA Society
Member, Board of Directors, Indianapolis Chapter
- Indiana State Bar Association
Member, Governing Council, Taxation Section
- Indiana Super Lawyers
- Indianapolis Bar Association
Member, Taxation Section
- United Way of Central Indiana President's Roundtable
Member, Meridian Society
- Safe Families of Indiana
- Carmel Regional Center for Performing Arts
Past Board Member