A seasoned litigator, Rob represents a diverse range of clients on a wide variety of matters involving federal, state and local environmental laws. For more than 27 years, he has handled environmental issues of regulatory compliance, permitting and corporate/real estate transactions, as well as all aspects of litigation arising from such issues, from administrative hearings to multi-party, complex multi-district litigation, mass torts and class actions.
Rob is a cornerstone of Taft’s Environmental, Litigation and Product Liability and Personal Injury teams. With an aptitude for handling complex and nuanced matters, Rob’s work has kept him at the forefront of environmental and regulatory litigation, mass tort, and compliance issues. He has handled matters involving highly complex and emerging scientific issues with some of the nation’s leading medical, technical, scientific and regulatory experts and advisors. Such matters have included hazardous, solid, medical and infectious wastes, emerging and unregulated chemicals, per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), such as PFOA and PFOS, air and water pollution and permitting, medical monitoring, brownfield redevelopment, landfill regulation and permitting, wastewater treatment, and chemical risk assessment, regulation and testing.
During his time at Taft, Rob has sought out and defended against class certification, has presented and defended against challenges to expert testimony under Daubert and, in perhaps his most widely known case, has served as co-lead counsel of the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in multi-district litigation involving thousands of individuals with serious disease claims attributable to their exposure to PFOA (C8) released into their drinking water by DuPont.
Rob has proudly represented Taft and his community as a board member of Less Cancer, as a member of the Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL) Class V and as a former chair of the Cincinnati Bar Association’s Environmental Law Committee. He received his undergraduate degree from New College and earned his J.D., cum laude, from the Ohio State University College of Law, where he served as managing editor of the Law Journal.
Rob is a Fellow in the Right Livelihood College and an Honorary Professor at the National University of Cordoba in Argentina. The following eight institutions represent the Right Livelihood College worldwide:
- Lund University (Sweden).
- Addis Ababa University (Ethiopia).
- University of Port Harcourt (Nigeria).
- Universidad Austral de Chile (Chile).
- University of California Santa Cruz (USA).
- University of Bonn (Germany).
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (India).
- National University of Cordoba (Argentina).
Honoree, Law360's 2017 MVP for Class Action
Honoree, Class Action – Kentucky Super Lawyers (2017-present)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America®, Environmental Law, Litigation - Environmental (2010-present)
Leading Lawyer, Environmental Law – Cincy Magazine (2008-present)
Top Local Plaintiff Litigation Star – Benchmark Plaintiff (2011 – present)
Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Ohio – National Trial Lawyers Association (2008-present)
Laureate, Right Livelihood Award ("Alternative" Nobel Prize) (2017)
AV peer-review rating – Martindale-Hubbell (5+ years), including Judicial Review edition
Clarence Darrow Award – mass tort bar (2014)
Trial Lawyer of the Year Award – The Trial Lawyers for Public Justice Foundation (2005)
“Giraffe Hero” Commendation – Giraffe Heroes Project (2016)
Fellow, Right Livelihood College
Member, The National Trial Lawyers: Class Action Trial Lawyers Association Top 25
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Honoree, "Lawyer of the Year," Best Lawyers in America® (2019)
All Service Areas
- The Ohio State University College of Law (1990)
- New College (1987)
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- State - Ohio
- State - Kentucky
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL) Member, Class V
- Cincinnati Bar Association Chair, Environmental Law Committee 2013
- Kentucky Bar Association Member
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation
- Cincinnati Bar Association
- Less Cancer Board Member
- Giraffe Heroes Project “Giraffe Hero” Commendation 2016
- Greening Our Children “Champion for Children” Award 2016
- Working in Neighborhoods ("WIN") WIN Hall of Fame 2016
- Rotary Club of Cincinnati
- New College Alumni/ae Association
Board of Directors
- Right Livelihood College