As urbanization converges around the world, shifting demographics are intensified by emerging manufacturing and technology companies who are becoming prominent players in the shaping of the future. With the assistance of developers, investors, municipalities and corporations, a robust legal team is needed to corral resources to deal effectively with all phases of the evolving landscape in order to accomplish aggressive growth strategies.
With 90 attorneys focused on real estate clients, and many others brought in for their experience in other practice areas, we deliver timely, thoughtful counsel that makes an impact. We leverage our size, skills and depth of industry knowledge to mitigate risk, avoid obstacles and get our clients results in a timely, cost-effective manner. Our highly collaborative approach across offices and practice areas improves the flow of deals and empowers our clients to make valuable connections with other industry partners.
Taft’s Real Estate attorneys offer a full-range of services related to the acquisition, leasing, management, use and taxation of land and property. We bring a wide range of real-world practical experience coupled with an extensive network of real estate and financial industry contacts to create successful outcomes for our clients. Our Real Estate group was awarded Midwest Real Estate News’ #1 Top Law Firm in 2019 for the number of transactions completed in 2018.
Our services include:
- Acquisition and development of real estate for manufacturing, industrial, warehouse, commercial, retail, residential and other uses, including tax and other advice regarding the structure of ownership entities and transactions.
- Financing of real estate assets, including mortgage loans, sale/leasebacks, participating mortgages, leasehold financing and construction and permanent financing for a wide variety of lenders and borrowers.
- Leases for industrial, manufacturing, warehouse, commercial, retail and office uses.
- Public and private construction contracts, construction management agreements, design/build agreements, and architect and engineer contracts for owners, construction companies and design professionals.
- Sales, exchanges and other dispositions of real estate assets.
- Real estate tax disputes and appeals.
- Implementing projects involving New Markets Tax Credits (NMTC), Historic Tax Credits, and Tax Increment Financing (TIF).
- Litigation, arbitration and mediation regarding purchase contracts, leases, mortgages, mechanics' liens, construction contracts and other disputes and claims relating to real estate.
- Annexation, eminent domain and land use issues, including obtaining re-zonings, variances and conditional use permits.
- Legal services regarding Community Development Entities (CDEs).
- Assistance in the structuring and implementing of transactions involving historic tax credits.
Our clientele includes a wide variety of developers, manufacturing and industrial companies, banks, insurance companies, pension funds, institutional and private investors and construction contractors. We also regularly collaborate with special servicers to maximize the timely recovery of principal and interest, or to assist with actions related to credit issues.
While much of the Real Estate team’s work involves properties in Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and Minnesota, we have significant experience in transactions throughout the U.S.
Ranked National Tier 1
by U.S. News – Best Lawyers®
2020 “Best Law Firms”
Ranked #1 in “Best of the Best 2019” by Midwest Real Estate News Magazine
- Represented the purchaser in Chicago’s biggest suburban office deal of 2017.
- Represented the purchaser in one of Chicago’s biggest suburban office deals of 2016.
- Represented an industrial manufacturer in the acquisition, financing and disposition of numerous facilities.
- Represented the purchaser in a multi-tenant industrial warehouse building in Illinois.
- Obtained public way approvals for a flagship retailer and oversaw the construction of its innovative, state-of-the-art addition to an existing office building, which included zoning, utility and public right-of-way elements.
- Obtained zoning approval and entitlements for a mixed-use student housing and retail project serving a higher education institution.