Intellectual property is a significant asset for companies in today’s competitive landscape. Protecting that asset is critical. Intellectual property is more than patents and trademarks — it is the people, practices and big ideas that keep a business running. No matter the industry, organizations need legal counsel that can identify, protect and enforce their ongoing IP rights and that can secure their freedom to operate in the marketplace.
Taft’s team of Intellectual Property attorneys focuses on providing comprehensive legal strategies to support clients’ needs and goals. Our group consists of more than 60 attorneys, including more than 30 registered patent attorneys, who are well-positioned with the experience and connections to protect our clients’ IP needs.
In addition to patent, trademark, and copyright protection and litigation, our IP attorneys advise clients on the trade secret protection, unfair competition, false advertising and the right of publicity. We have experience representing clients across industries, including financial services, software development, electric manufacturing, specialty chemicals, security, automotive, entertainment, and health care.
Our attorneys assist clients in a range of traditional and innovative IP matters, from drafting licensing and development agreements and handling disputes to assisting individuals and institutions from early research through commercialization. We have experience litigating suits regarding involving technologies such as avionics, LCD optics, video signaling, semiconductor design and operation, thin film transistor manufacturing and design, voice-over-internet telephony and firewalls, routers and switches, network topology and message routing, LED design and operation, PECVD manufacturing processes, regulated medical devices, pharmaceutically active substances and formulations, cellular screening methods, computer software and electronic point of sale devices.
While we regularly guide clients through all stages of litigation, including appeals, the goal is always to avoid and resolve potential disputes before they reach that point or, at the very least, to achieve a successful result as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Taft’s IP attorneys are experienced in:
- Searching and clearance of trademarks.
- Patentability searching.
- Preparing and filing U.S. and foreign patent applications.
- Registering trademarks in the U.S. and internationally.
- Registering trade dress, product and packaging configurations.
- Watch/surveillance services for conflicting marks.
- Patent and trademark licenses.
- Technology licenses.
- Technology transfers from universities to the private sector.
- Transactions involving technology and e-commerce.
- Intellectual property audits, management and counseling.
- M&A due diligence.
- Intellectual property litigation.
- Inter Partes Review.
- International Trade Commission (ITC) investigations.
- Antitrust litigation.
- Domain name disputes.
- U.S. Customs registration and enforcement of IP rights.
- Sweepstakes and promotions.
- Advertising compliance/clearance.
- FDA and FTC.
- Software licensing and development agreements.
- Product Clearance.
- Counsel on designing around valid patents.
Taft’s IP attorneys are experienced in handling intellectual property rights issues in Internet website development, hosting, co-branding and content license agreements. We provide advisory services to Internet start-up businesses, as well as many established companies based in the Midwest and throughout the U.S.
- Crisis Management
- Debt and Structured Finance
- Employment Law
- Intellectual Property Licensing
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Prosecution
- Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences Litigation
- Privacy and Data Security
- Software and Technology
- Trademark and Copyright Prosecution
- Trademarks and Branding