Real Estate Finance
Taft’s Real Estate attorneys have a wide range of industry experience deepened by long-lasting and trusted industry relationships. We assist our clients with securing the proper financing strategy for their real estate transactions. Our attorneys work with clients investing in a variety of industries including office, retail, industrial, mixed-use, condominium, hospitality, and institutional sectors.
Clients turn to Taft for real estate finance counsel that is efficient and experienced in a variety of transaction deals. Our team serves client needs regarding:
- Senior mortgage loans.
- Mezzanine loans.
- Bridge loans.
- Construction loans.
- Conduit loans.
- CMBS loans.
- Whole loan and loan portfolio sales and acquisitions.
- Loan workouts and restructures.
- Loan enforcement and bankruptcies.
- Syndicated credit facilities and participants.
- Letters of credit.
- Revolving credit and aggregation credit facilities.
- Equity Matters
- Preferred equity transactions.
- Mezzanine and preferred equity investments.
- Purchase money financing.
- Tax-exempt financing.
Real estate finance transactions occur in many contexts – investment, development, structured, securitized, mezzanine, revolving credit, tax-based and cross-border.
Taft has experience with a wide range of commercial real estate loans with varying maturities, leverage ratios and debt coverage ratios. Our attorney team understands the objectives of financial institutions’ lending programs and offers an experienced perspective of the whole scenario that utilizes knowledge of capital markets, the wider financial industry and real estate cycles.
We also represent purchasers of individual loans or pools of loans secured by real estate or interests in real estate and the resale, restructuring or exercise of remedies under such loans.
We use an integrated approach to address the challenges facing clients in the real estate industry. Clients trust Taft’s broad finance capabilities, real estate depth, and regional knowledge of our 400 seasoned lawyers to provide comprehensive, results oriented services for a full spectrum of real estate finance transactions.
Private Equity and Joint Ventures
We advise clients on partnerships and joint ventures, as well as operational and financial concerns and business transactions for the entities created. Clients turn to our team to structure and negotiate business relationships between parties, including:
- Property owners and developers.
- Real estate operating companies.
- Insurance companies.
- Pension funds.
- Financial institutions and lenders.
- Private investors and entrepreneurs.
- Negotiation and closing of tax credit and construction financing for the redevelopment of an office building into a multi-family apartment building with first floor retail.
- Assisted in the acquisition, financing, development and leasing of shopping centers across the Midwest.
- Provided health care licensing and real estate counsel for the owner/borrower, operator and master tenant, as well as HUD opinions for the new construction, expansion and refinancing of a senior living community.
- Represented the borrower in a syndicated construction loan for 20-story hotel in Illinois.
- Provided counsel to a hospital network for a series of tax-exempt financings with a substantial portion of the proceeds being used to exercise options and purchase real estate previously leased by the organization.
- Represented the buyer in the acquisition of an industrial park with multiple sellers and more than 100 tenant units in the refinancing of an industrial property portfolio.