Taft’s Investment Funds Group is an interdisciplinary practice and includes professionals with a diverse range of legal experience, including securities, tax, and ERISA. Investment fund sponsors and investors turn to Taft for our market insight and in-depth experience in the fund formation and alternative investment space.
We regularly advise sponsors on forming private equity, venture capital, real estate, and hedge funds. When representing sponsors, Taft seeks to design optimal limited partnership agreements, manage negotiations with prospective limited partners, and efficiently manage the fundraising and closing processes.
Our team assists sponsors with:
- Determining the appropriate structure for an investment fund;
- Drafting private placement memorandums, limited partnership agreements, and other offering documents;
- Complying with the U.S. Securities Act of 1933 and Regulation D;
- Negotiating fund agreements and side letters with limited partners;
- Drafting general partner, management company, and other upper-tier governing agreements; and
- Ongoing compliance with the U.S. Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and the Investment Company Act.
We also regularly advise investors in connection with their investments into various funds. When representing investors, we advise on negotiating fund agreements and side letters that will protect their interests and better align the incentives of sponsors with those of their investors.