Product Liability and Personal Injury
Taft has extensive experience in litigation involving substantial product liability. We also have the resources necessary to manage complex, consolidated and high-volume mass tort issues. Traditionally, our practice in this area has focused on the defense of larger, self-insured companies. We have defended product liability actions involving industrial products, recreational products, drugs, and medical devices, among others. Several of our attorneys have served as ongoing national product liability counsel to major corporations in oft-targeted industries.
In recent years, we have diversified our personal injury practice by also selectively representing plaintiffs in cases involving serious personal injury, death or class-wide exposure to toxic substances. Our broad experience in product liability and personal injury cases enables us to help clients, whether plaintiffs or defendants, fairly evaluate the merits of the case and, if appropriate, the advisability of settlement. If trial is necessary, we have the experience to prepare and try the strongest case for a plaintiff or a defendant.
Taft’s product liability lawyers regularly engage and coordinate with outside consultants on liability and causation issues across a wide spectrum of areas of expertise, including mechanical engineers, chemical engineers, doctors, surgeons, and other medical providers, regulatory and compliance consultants, and biocompatibility and materials experts.
Taft’s attorneys draw from the following capabilities:
- Deep and expansive experience in high-exposure product liability litigation in jurisdictions across the country, including the resources to handle and manage complex, consolidated, and large volume mass tort issues.
- A track record of responding to the full scope of related issues, including product design, testing, manufacturing, marketing, and contract issues.
- A thorough understanding of clients’ industries – including aviation, automotive products, chemicals, utility products, industrial machinery, firearms, power tools, pharmaceuticals and medical devices, and a wide array of other consumer products.
- Wide-ranging involvement with the federal, state, and local regulatory agencies, as well as industry groups involved in product safety.
- The ability to counsel clients on risk management and prevention associated with their products.