Product Liability and Personal Injury
Attorneys in all of the Taft offices have had extensive experience in litigation involving substantial product liability and personal injury claims. Traditionally, our practice in this area has focused on the defense of larger, self-insured companies, such as railroads, utility companies and a broad spectrum of manufacturing and pharmaceutical companies. In recent years, we have diversified our personal injury practice by also selectively representing plaintiffs in cases involving serious personal injury, death or class-wide exposure to toxic substances. Our broad experience in personal injury cases enables us to help clients, whether plaintiffs or defendants, fairly evaluate the merits of the case and, if appropriate, the advisability of settlement. If trial is necessary, we have the experience to prepare and try the strongest case for a plaintiff or a defendant.
Representative personal injury matters handled by our attorneys for defendants include:
- Injury and death claims against a utility company involving contact with high voltage electric lines and natural gas pipeline leaks and explosions.
- Ohio employee intentional tort claims for employers such as Ingersoll-Rand, Leggett & Platt, Smurfit-Stone Container, and Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.
- Third-party indemnification claims between employers and equipment manufacturers arising out of on-the-job injuries.
- Pharmaceutical and medical device injury claims for Eli Lilly Company, Boston Scientific Corporation, and Philips Electronics.
- Product liability claims arising out of electrical tools and appliances and forklift trucks for Black & Decker and Hyster Corporation.
- Product liability claims arising out of printers and copiers.
- Premises liability claims.
- Defense of, and insurance coverage advice in, asbestos and welding fumes exposure cases for Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corporation, David J. Joseph Company, Wm. Powell Company, Richards Industries, and J. W. Harris Company.
- Defense of claims arising out of construction tools, equipment and machinery.
- Defense of automobile wheel manufacturer and gun manufacturers in product liability claims.
Representative personal injury matters handled by our attorneys for plaintiffs include:
- Construction site injuries and deaths.
- Fire injury and death claims against insurance companies.
- Serious injury and death claims from vehicular collisions and pedestrians and cyclists struck by vehicles.
- Personal injury class action cases against two large chemical companies as a result of ground water contamination in several states.
While our attorneys vigorously and effectively defend and prosecute serious personal injury and death claims, we recognize the need to treat opposing parties and witnesses with respect and opposing counsel with civility and professionalism. We appreciate that judges and juries often perceive the demeanor of trial attorneys as a reflection of the values and attitudes of the clients they represent.