Corporations working in the insurance industry require a strategic and trusted approach to address their individual legal and regulatory needs.
Taft’s attorneys understand the insurance industry from both a legal and business perspective. We handle all aspects of insurance regulatory issues, mergers, acquisitions, market conduct matters, suitability sales issues, and corporate governance matters, among others. Taft’s insurance team is experienced servicing both the buyer and seller side of transactions. We have represented insurance companies and regulators in change of control transactions, hearings, and in due diligence and filings related to the transactions. We have also helped in vetting proposed business plans and in financing options whether public debt or private equity.
Some of our industry-wide services include:
- Managing and resolving insurance coverage issues.
- Serving as outside general counsel to insurance or insurance related entities.
- Insurance company formations, state licensing, re-domestications, and adding lines of authority.
- Reorganizations, mergers, and acquisitions.
- Preparing and advising on all facets of Form A (change of control) matters.
- Corporate governance advising and assistance.
- Holding company systems regulatory filings and compliance.
- Insurance rehabilitation and insolvency.
- NAIC monitoring.
- Reinsurance matters.
- Market conduct examinations and resolution of administrative actions.
- Suitability issues and resolutions of annuity and life insurance sales.
- Captive insurance matters.
- Agency licensing and examination issues.
We also work closely with Taft’s affiliated business, Ingardus, which is comprised of individuals with deep ties to and substantial experience in and with the insurance industry. Ingardus specializes in insurance advisory and forensic accounting services through a team of professionals including experienced Certified Public Accountants.