Public Affairs Strategies Group
With its 135-year legacy rooted in the historic Taft family that gave the country a U.S. President, Senator, and Supreme Court Chief Justice, together with other U.S. Senators and top-level U.S. government officials, Taft offers comprehensive public affairs services through our Public Affairs Strategies Group (PASG) and government affairs advisory group, Taft Advisors.
Taft’s PASG draws upon the experience of the firm’s lawyers as well as Taft Advisors to provide coordinated federal, state, and local advocacy across all of Taft’s markets. We believe effective government affairs representation begins with veteran policy professionals. Our highly experienced professionals bring diverse and bipartisan backgrounds and decades of federal, state, and local government experience to advocate for our clients.
Taft’s PASG is comprised of multidisciplinary government relations professionals that represent corporations, small and medium-sized companies, nonprofit organizations, and associations with matters before federal, state, and local legislative and executive branches of government. We design and implement successful advocacy strategies ranging from complex, federal, multi-year authorizations in Congress to municipal policy development.
Our diverse team’s decades of experience were gained by working with federal and state legislatures, federal, state, and local administrations, elected senior policy advisors, senior Congressional committee staff, and elected and appointed state positions – as well as – through leadership roles on campaign and election committees.
Our experienced state and local policy teams are present in all Taft markets, with our federal policy team’s national practice located in our Washington, DC office. Attorneys in Taft’s PASG have been recognized by Best Lawyers in America® and Super Lawyers®.
Our services include:
- Federal, State, and Local Advocacy
- Advocacy is at the center of everything we do. Our team members work with clients and policymakers to bring awareness to our client’s most pressing challenges.
- Congressional Appropriations and Budget Analysis
- In partnership with our firm’s public finance practice, Taft’s PASG has considerable experience accessing federal earmarks and grant programs on behalf of a broad range of clients.
- Public Affairs Strategy Development
- The government affairs and regulatory environment is complex and ever-changing. Our professionals call upon decades of relevant experience to craft solutions and create long-term wins for clients in the regulatory and legislative space.
- Legislation and Issue Tracking/Monitoring
- As part of our legislative monitoring service, Taft’s team reviews every bill and amendment filed, keeping clients apprised of those measures that may impact their interests.
- Government and Municipal Law
- Several PASG team members serve as counsel to municipalities and trusted advisors to townships, providing practical, ongoing guidance to local elected and appointed officials.
- Economic Development
- Our team boasts extensive experience working at the intersection of infrastructure and economic development, and can lend our expertise to project evaluation, needs analysis of incentives, project justification, and messaging.
- Coalition Management
- Taft's PASG knows the impact that grassroots coalition-building can have on policymaking. In concert with communications and public affairs expertise, we can help activate citizens and equip them with the tools they need to make their voices heard to influence policy.
- Communications and Strategy
- More often than not, with any public affairs and legislative strategy comes a strategic communications plan to amplify advocacy and shape public opinion on an issue. Our team advises on earned media, crisis communications, and brand awareness to help clients tell their stories.
- Our team members have expertise in federal procurement and the competitive bidding process, as well as state and local procurement opportunities, including contract formation, performance and administration, payment, and dispute resolution.
Taft Advisors is an affiliate of the law firm and offers clients the additional resources and platform of a full-service government affairs firm. Learn more here.