Immigration and Citizenship
Attorneys in Taft’s Immigration and Citizenship practice counsel clients in all aspects of immigration, with heavy emphasis on the business needs of employers and employees. Our practice is worldwide in scope, and Taft attorneys represent clients before U.S. embassies and consulates, the U.S. Departments of Labor, Justice and Homeland Security, and in the federal courts.
We assist U.S. and non-U.S. companies that hire foreign nationals with developing immigration strategies consistent with company goals, preparing individual immigration petitions and applications and ensuring ongoing compliance with immigration regulations. Our team has wide-ranging immigration experience, and cases are carefully reviewed to identify all relevant immigration solutions, and potential setbacks, as part of a long-term immigration strategy.
Our immigration clients include major corporations and prominent individuals in automotive, banking, cosmetics, information technology, health care and manufacturing, as well as individual doctors, nurses and other professionals. We also serve the family immigration needs of our clients. The practice complements the firm’s Labor & Employment and Business & Finance groups to provide full service to our clients’ immigration and citizenship needs.
Taft’s immigration service includes obtaining work authorization under a wide range of temporary visas, such as trader/investor, professional, intracompany transfers, exchange visitors, artists, scientists and Canadian and Mexican professionals under NAFTA. Our attorneys also represent clients looking to obtain employment or family-based permanent residence or green card status.
Our Immigration and Citizenship attorneys counsel clients on:
- B-1/B-2 Visitors
- E-1/E-2 Treaty Trader/Investors
- F-1 Students and Practical Training
- H-1B/E-3 Specialty Occupations
- H-1B3 Fashion Models
- H-3 Nonimmigrant Trainees
- I Representatives of Foreign Media
- J-1 Exchange Visitors
- Waivers of J-1 Physicians’ Foreign Residence Requirement
- L-1 Intracompany Transferees
- O-1 Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement
- TN NAFTA Professionals
- Consular Processing
- Outbound Visas
- Extraordinary Ability Immigrant Petitions
- Outstanding Professors or Researchers Immigrant Petitions
- Multinational Executive/Manager Immigrant Petitions
- Exceptional Ability Immigrant Petitions
- PERM Labor Certifications and Permanent Residency (Green Cards)
- EB-5 Investor Green Cards
- National Interest Waiver Petitions
- Family-Based Immigration
- Adjustment of Status
- Consular Processing
- Form I-9 Consultation and Employer Audits
- ICE Raids/Audits/Grand Jury and Administrative Subpoenas
- Immigration Discrimination Claims
- Social Security No-Match Letters and Employer Responses
- Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship
- Claims to U.S. Citizenship
Representative clients include:
- International Banking Companies
- International Drug and Cosmetics Companies
- Information Technology (Software/Hardware) Companies
- Hospitals and Medical Research Centers
- Colleges and Universities
- Start-Up New Technology Companies
- International Manufacturing Companies
- Foreign Investment and International Trade Companies
- Advise domestic and multi-national companies on foreign recruitment strategies and immigration sponsorships and compliance.
- Counsel clients on how to best manage their foreign labor force, transfer employees from abroad and hire new foreign professionals in the U.S. Primary work visa solutions include F-1 student visa Optional Practical Training and STEM work authorization, H-1B specialty occupation workers, L-1 intra-company transferees, E-1 treaty trader, E-2 treaty investor, TN/ NAFTA professionals and O-1 extraordinary ability cases.
- Handle a wide spectrum of permanent residence sponsorships, including PERM-based cases.
- Drive complex immigration sponsorship transactions through multiple federal adjudicative stages that include U.S. embassies and consulates (U.S. Department of State) and the U.S. Departments of Labor and Homeland Security.