Energy and Utilities
Taft provides full-service legal representation to a broad range of energy providers, public utilities, transmission-only utilities, independent power producers, developers, regional entities, and other energy-sector participants. We represent clients across the electric, natural gas, and telecommunications industries.
We are leaders in our fields and we harness our experience to provide clients with unparalleled practical legal advice in the energy and utilities arena. Our team has extensive scientific and technical knowledge about how electric utility plants, electric and natural gas transmission and distribution systems, and telecommunications systems operate. Our attorneys have experience with a broad range of electric generation, transmission, and distribution projects and disputes, including acquisitions, power purchases, and construction related to both dispatchable and renewable energy and capacity.
We help our clients navigate a host of challenges in complying with ever-changing regulatory requirements; obtaining regulatory approval for rate increases, riders, major infrastructure projects, and resource plans; undertaking complex transactions and financings; and pursuing and defending litigation. Our attorneys also regularly assist energy and utility clients across numerous interdisciplinary areas of law, including administrative law and contested cases, financing, securities taxation, labor and employment, environmental law, bond financing, and corporate governance. Clients rely on our tested knowledge, perspective, and experience.
Our energy attorneys have experience assisting clients on a multitude of issues and matters, including:
- State utility regulatory filings and proceedings including ratemaking contested cases, cost recovery proceedings, resource planning proceedings, certificates of need and/or certificates of public convenience and necessity, electric and gas transmission and distribution planning and routing, tariff change proceedings, regulatory approvals of commercial transactions, prudence reviews, approvals of corporate structure mergers and changes, regional planning, and interjurisdictional allocation disputes.
- Litigation involving energy and utility clients including vendor and developer disputes, property damage and personal injury, administrative disputes, state and federal appeals of agency decisions, land use and right-of-way proceedings, toxic tort, citizen suite, enforcement, contract, and property tax disputes.
- Energy and utility acquisitions, divestures, and development agreements related to energy and utility infrastructure; power purchase agreements; real estate purchases and sales of utility property; corporate restructuring and organizational matters for energy and utility clients.
- Developing and permitting of renewable energy projects.
- Real estate transactions and eminent domain involving transmission and distribution projects.
- Regulatory compliance and permitting involving state and federal requirements governed by the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, RCRA, and CERCLA.
- Criminal defense and insurance coverage matters.
- Developing public messaging and media communications.
- Conducting environmental reviews and audits on behalf of utility clients.
- Developing and implementing environmental action plans for emergency situations.