Brian has broad experience serving as employment, litigation, and outside general counsel for companies of all sizes. He regularly appears in state and federal trial and appellate courts in discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, non-compete, trade secret and contract litigation. He actively uses alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration, to represent the best interests of our clients.
Day-to-day, Brian works closely with clients on projects related to employee discipline and discharge, policies and contracts, leave management, reductions in force and the many other ways the law intersects with the human resources aspect of businesses. He regularly counsels clients on cyber-security risk assessments and policies and data privacy issues as they relate to the workforce. Brian further advises in the areas of wage and hour and employee and independent contractor classification.
Brian is an experienced management-side labor attorney, assisting clients with union elections, collective bargaining, strike avoidance and preparation, unfair labor practice charges, arbitrations and fact-finding hearings.
In serving the higher education industry, Brian works closely with public and private institutions and their boards of trustees relative to the myriad legal issues related to students, staff and faculty, institution and program accreditation, and compliance, including, but not limited to, Title IV funding requirements and other U.S. Department of Education regulations. Brian is a member of the National Association of College & University Attorneys (NACUA).
Brian is listed in Best Lawyers in America for Labor Law - Management. He has also been recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers for Employment & Labor Law and was previously honored as an Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star (2010-2014). Brian is a fellow of the Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL), Class X, and a graduate of Leadership Northern Kentucky, Class of 2015. He serves on steering committees for Leadership Northern Kentucky, the Northern Kentucky University Labor-Management Conference and the Ohio State Bar Association's Midwest Labor and Employment Seminar. In addition, Brian serves as vice chair of the Admissions Committee of the Cincinnati Bar Association, participates on the Both Shores: Leadership Northern Kentucky/Leadership Cincinnati Regionalism Committee on Sustainability, serves on the board of trustees of iSpace, and is a mentor in the Supreme Court of Ohio’s Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program. Brian received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where he was a member of the Moot Court Board, and his B.A., cum laude, from Capital University.
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America (Labor Law - Management)
Honoree, Employment & Labor - Ohio Super Lawyers (2015-present)
Honoree, "Rising Star" by Ohio Super Lawyers (2010-2014)
All Service Areas
- University of Cincinnati College of Law (2000)
- Capital University (1997)
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- Federal - Eastern District of Kentucky
- Federal - Western District of Kentucky
- Federal - Southern District of Illinois
- Federal - District of Colorado
- State - Ohio
- State - Kentucky
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL) Fellow, Class X
- Cincinnati Bar Association
Vice Chair, Admissions Committee
- Kentucky Bar Association Member
- Leadership Northern Kentucky Class of 2015
- National Association of College & University Attorneys (NACUA) Member
- Ohio State Bar Association Member
- Potter Stewart Inn of Court Barrister, 2008-2009
- Supreme Court of Ohio Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program Mentor
- Both Shores: Leadership Northern Kentucky/Leadership Cincinnati Regionalism Committee on Sustainability, Member 2015-present; Co-Chair 2016
- Capital University Outstanding Young Alumni Award Recipient, 2008
- iSpace Member, Board of Trustees
- Northern Kentucky University Labor-Management Conference Planning Committee Member
- OSBA Annual Midwest Labor & Employment Conference Member
- Peaslee Neighborhood Center Trustee, 2004-2011, Co-Chair, 2008-2010