Brian has broad experience serving as employment, litigation, and outside general counsel for companies of all sizes. He regularly appears in state and federal trial and appellate courts in discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, non-compete, trade secret, and contract litigation. He actively uses alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration, to represent the best interests of our clients.
Day-to-day, Brian works closely with clients on projects related to employee discipline and discharge, policies and contracts, leave management, reductions in force, and the many other ways the law intersects with the human resources aspect of businesses. He regularly counsels clients on cyber-security risk assessments and policies and data privacy issues as they relate to the workforce. Brian further advises in the areas of wage and hour and employee and independent contractor classification.
Brian is an experienced management-side labor attorney, assisting clients with union elections, collective bargaining, strike avoidance and preparation, unfair labor practice charges, arbitrations, and fact-finding hearings.
In serving the higher education industry, Brian works closely with public and private institutions and their boards of trustees relative to the myriad legal issues related to students, staff and faculty, institution and program accreditation, and compliance, including, but not limited to, Title IV funding requirements and other U.S. Department of Education regulations. Brian is a member of the National Association of College & University Attorneys (NACUA).
Brian is listed in Best Lawyers in America for Labor Law - Management. He has also been recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers for Employment & Labor Law and was previously honored as an Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star (2010-2014). He has been awarded an AV® Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest possible rating for ethical standards and legal ability. Brian is a member of Leadership Cincinnati, Class 43, a fellow of the Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL), Class X, and a graduate of Leadership Northern Kentucky, Class of 2015.
He serves on steering committees for the:
• Northern Kentucky University Labor-Management Conference.
• Ohio State Bar Association's Midwest Labor and Employment Seminar.
In addition, Brian serves as chair of the Admissions Committee of the Cincinnati Bar Association and he is a trustee and chair of the development committee for iSPACE, a STEM education non-profit. He has also served as a mentor in the Supreme Court of Ohio’s Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentoring Program and he is a former member and co-chair of Both Shores: Leadership Northern Kentucky/Leadership Cincinnati Regionalism Committee on Sustainability.
Brian collaborates with Make it Plain Consulting, a human capital management firm specializing in HR consulting, workforce training and performance coaching. With Make it Plain, Brian has been a presenter at numerous cultural competency, diversity and inclusion programs. His focus has been anti-harassment and anti-bullying. Recently, Brian and Make it Plain conducted training sessions for all Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport employees.
Brian is a lead presenter for UNDIVIDED, a six-week spiritual journey through Crossroads Church that brings people together for meaningful conversation and experiences to allow for growth and healing of the racial divide in Cincinnati. He is also a lead for Living UNDIVIDED, a venue for committed UNDIVIDED facilitators to process and build upon their experiences.
Brian received his J.D. from the University of Cincinnati College of Law, where he was a member of the Moot Court Board, and his B.A., cum laude, from Capital University.
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor (2015 - present)
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2010 - 2014)
All Service Areas
- University of Cincinnati College of Law (2000)
- Capital University (1997)
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- Federal - Eastern District of Kentucky
- Federal - Western District of Kentucky
- Federal - Southern District of Illinois
- Federal - District of Colorado
- State - Ohio
- State - Kentucky
- AV Peer Review Rating (LexisNexis/Martindale-Hubbell)
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL)
Fellow, Class X
- Cincinnati Bar Association
Chair, Admissions Committee
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Leadership Cincinnati
Member, Class 43
- Leadership Northern Kentucky
Member, Class of 2015
- National Association of College & University Attorneys (NACUA)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Potter Stewart Inn of Court
Former Barrister (2008 - 2009)
- Supreme Court of Ohio Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program
- Make it Plain Consulting
Member, Board of Trustees
Chair, Development Committee
- Capital University Outstanding Young Alumni Award
- Northern Kentucky University Labor-Management Conference Planning Committee
- OSBA Annual Midwest Labor & Employment Conference
Member, Planning Committee
- Both Shores: Leadership Northern Kentucky/Leadership Cincinnati
Former Member, Regionalism Committee on Sustainability (2015 - 2018)
Former Co-Chair, Regionalism Committee on Sustainability (2016)
- Peaslee Neighborhood Center
HR Committee (2011 - present)
Former Trustee (2004 - 2011)
Former Co-Chair (2008 - 2010)
- UNDIVIDED (a Crossroads Church program)
Living UNDIVIDED, Facilitator