Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)
Owning and leasing real property has the potential to be a sturdy, reliable investment, but investment returns can be negatively affected by the form of investment vehicle. Holding real estate though a real estate investment trust (REIT) often offers the greatest opportunity to raise significant funds from a variety of sources using a tax-advantaged structure.
Taft attorneys have extensive experience representing listed and unlisted REITs. We guide private company boards of directors and real estate program sponsors through the process, with an approach tailored to their specific needs and goals. Our team's broad institutional knowledge, industry experience and network of multidisciplinary attorneys enable us to deliver strategic and efficient results in an unpredictable marketplace.
Our attorneys offer practical counsel across needs, from the initial public offering process to specific issues new public companies face. We have particular knowledge of REIT internalization mergers, representing both acquiring and acquired entities.
Our services include:
- Representing clients in follow-on offerings, debt offerings and exchange offers.
- Counseling entities regarding the listing of their common stock on national exchanges (such as NYSE and Nasdaq).
- Structuring merger and acquisition transactions.
- Advising on periodic and annual reporting and other Securities and Exchange Commission disclosure requirements.
- Counseling regarding state corporate law and security matters, including “blue sky” issues.
- Counseling broker-deals in compliance with applicable regulations of the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).