Phil is a trial lawyer who has extensive first-chair litigation and trial experience. Having a background in science, Phil has litigated numerous cases throughout the United States involving trademarks, patents, copyrights, and trade secrets. Phil also has extensive experience in litigation involving technology and cybersecurity matters, as well as product liability, engineering, and construction matters. Since 2010, Phil has represented clients in over forty-five intellectual property-related lawsuits and proceedings in district and state courts and before the USPTO. Phil has also managed and monitored numerous other litigations in the European Union, Asia, South America, and Australia for clients.
In addition to his intellectual property and technology focus, Phil also has extensive experience in matters involving insurance. He has litigated on behalf of both insureds and insurers in matters involving general liability, commercial auto, directors and officers, employment practices, errors and omissions, and specialty lines of insurance. He also has extensive experience with coverage issues.
Phil began his career as a commercial litigator and has extensive experience in litigating general commercial matters, including disputes involving financial institutions, disputes between shareholders, employer-employee matters, landlord-tenant matters, and accounting matters.
Phil has represented or is currently representing:
- A national manufacturer of construction products in a Federal Court lawsuit involving trademark infringement, unfair competition, and antitrust claims under the Sherman Act, and related state law claims.
- A global retailer of wireless products in Federal Court lawsuits involving design patent, trademark, copyright, and deceptive trade practices claims against parties selling infringing products through online retailers.
- A retail lighting company against global manufacturer in lawsuit in a Federal Court involving purported patent infringement and invalidity claims.
- A global distribution and packaging business and its officers in a Federal Court lawsuit involving unfair trade practices, in connection with the termination of an intellectual property license.
- A global manufacturer of athletic products and apparel in a Federal Court lawsuit involving trademark and licensing claims.
- Numerous companies in the food and beverage, apparel, safety, and financial industries in opposition and cancelation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- A global manufacturer of apparel in a Federal Court lawsuit in numerous opposition and cancelation proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office Trademark Board.
- A global manufacturer of firearm accessory products in Federal Court lawsuit involving trademark infringement and counterfeiting claims.
- A software developer in a Federal Court lawsuit involving the purported infringement of a copyright on computer software.
- A global manufacturer of apparel in appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit involving trademark matters.
- International software developers in Federal Court lawsuits involving patent infringement claims filed by non-practicing entities.
In addition to his litigation practice, Phil also has experience in the business services-side of intellectual property matters. He advises clients on the national and international management of their trademark portfolios, protecting and licensing their intellectual property, and due diligence matters.
For eight years, Phil was recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star Intellectual Property Litigation Law. He was selected as an Ohio Super Lawyer in 2014 - 2017 for Intellectual Property Litigation Law.
All Service Areas
- The Ohio State University College of Law (2000)
- Duke University (1995)
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Northern District of Indiana
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
- State - Supreme Court of Ohio
- Federal - Southern District of Illinois
- Federal - Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (Chair, Partners' Affinity Group)
- Asian American Bar Association of Ohio (Board Member)
- William K. Thomas American Inn of Court (Member )
- Duke Alumni Admissions Advisory Committee (Member)
- Duke Alumni Association (Member)
- Duke University Alumni Association (Member)
- Philippine American Society of Ohio (Member)
- St. Ignatius Alumni Executive Council (Member)
- JD Breast Cancer Foundation (Board Member)
- Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (Board Member)