Patrick focuses his practice on providing legal representation to numerous large and small commercial and residential construction contractors, real estate developers and finance companies.
Patrick's construction and development experience includes nearly every facet and phase of the process including contract drafting, labor and employment disputes, insurance and bonding, and contract administration. If, despite the best efforts of everyone involved in the project, any challenges or disputes arise, Patrick is well versed to take whatever steps are necessary to resolve the dispute in favor of his clients.
Patrick regularly represents commercial contractors, developers, lenders, residential builders, subcontractors, and owners in areas such as:
- Construction contract drafting and negotiation
- Risk management
- Filing and litigating mechanic's lien foreclosures
- Construction and design defect cases
- Public construction bid disputes
- Disputes between owner/contractor and contractor/subcontractor
- Delay claims
- Insurance disputes
- Municipal challenges to zoning and platting decisions
- Performance and bond cases
Whether it is negotiating an engineering, procurement, and/or construction contract for a power plant, filing a mechanic’s lien, pursuing a bond claim, or enforcing the contractual rights of the client, Patrick has the knowledge, experience and attention to detail necessary to guide his clients through the complexities of construction and development law.
Patrick received his J.D. from William Mitchell College of Law and his undergraduate degree from Colorado College in 2004.
Honoree, Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- William Mitchell College of Law (2007)
- Colorado College (2004)
B.S., Political Science
cum laude, with Distinction
- State - Minnesota
- Federal - 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Obtained trial verdict, which was subsequently upheld by the Minnesota Court of Appeals, on a mechanic’s lien foreclosure for a subcontractor that provided labor and materials for the construction of a hotel for which it was never paid.
- Successfully defended numerous mortgage lenders in “show me the note” lawsuits where homeowners allege the foreclosure is invalid because the lenders do not possess the original promissory note.
- Successfully defended mortgage lender accused of wrongful eviction after a foreclosure by advertisement.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in a two week jury trial where the general contractor alleged Patrick’s client, a framing subcontractor, allegedly installed defective lumber in numerous multi-family housing projects.
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota Chapter of the Association of General Contractors