Marci represents clients in all phases of real estate acquisition, sales, finance, leasing, public/private partnerships, and development. She has extensive experience in representing clients before various local land use authorities regarding platting, variances and other zoning matters.
Marci was inducted into the first annual Midwest Commercial Real Estate Hall of Fame in 2011. She is a frequent speaker on real estate and business law matters.
Marci is recognized by Best Lawyers in America® and has been named in Indiana Super Lawyers for many years. She is listed in Chambers USA (2015-present) for Real Estate Law and is also AV Peer Review Rated (Preeminent) by LexisNexis/Martindale-Hubbell. Marci received the 2021 Zeff Weiss Award for Excellence in Real Estate, which recognizes lawyers who are shining examples of the extraordinary and positive achievements to the Indiana real estate and development community. She was also recognized as a Distinguished Barrister as part of the Indiana Lawyer Leadership in Law Awards in 2010.
Marci is past president of the Fort Benjamin Harrison Reuse Authority Board of Directors, the board charged with redeveloping the land formerly owned by the U.S. Army at Fort Benjamin Harrison. She is chair of the Indiana Business Law Survey Commission, a statutory commission of governors’ appointees who advise the Indiana Secretary of State and Indiana General Assembly on state business entity statutes and related matters. Marci is also a member of the Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee and a past chair of the Business Law Section of the Indiana State Bar Association.
In addition to her private practice experience, Marci served as corporations counsel in the Office of Evan Bayh, Indiana Secretary of State from 1987-1988 and as executive assistant to Governor Bayh from 1989-1990, advising him on higher education matters and other areas of state policy.
Honoree, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2015 - present)
Recipient, Zeff Weiss Award for Excellence in Real Estate (2021)
Honoree, Indiana Super Lawyers (2009 - 2018, 2021 - present)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America (2014 – present)
Honoree, Leadership in Law - Distinguished Barrister, Indiana Lawyer (2010)
Distinguished Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation
Life Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation (2018)
All Service Areas
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (1984)
- Indiana University, B.A. (double degree), (1978)
- State - Indiana
Serves as real estate counsel to:
- The largest electric utility company in the U.S. concerning real estate matters in Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio including the acquisition and disposition of power plant land and improvement acquisition of property, negotiation of telecommunication contracts, and the preparation of transaction documents.
- The City of Indianapolis and other Indiana municipalities on various public-private partnership transactions and tax increment financing projects.
- National and regional real estate developers concerning credit facilities ranging from $500+ million to $5 million.
- Local real estate developer in connection with the acquisition, sale, redevelopment and financing for vintage market rate multi-family projects in the older areas of the City of Indianapolis.
- An owner/developer of multiple upscale doggy daycare facilities concerning zoning and real estate matters.
- Real estate developers in the acquisition/disposition, management, development/redevelopment, and leasing of industrial parks.
- Various companies concerning office leasing projects.
- The City of Indianapolis in connection with the public-private partnership between Infosys Limited, the City, the Indianapolis Airport Authority, and the State of Indiana that is creating a 140 acre office campus with 784,000 sf of mixed use space on former airport land for the largest software developer in the world.
- The City of Indianapolis in connection with creating a city-wide LED street light conversion program with Indianapolis Power and Light.
- An Indianapolis real estate developer concerning financing for a public-private partnership with the City of Indianapolis to acquire and re-develop four historic properties at the former Central State Mental Hospital. Marci represented the developer in connection with the acquisition of the property and continues to serve as counsel to the developer. The redevelopment includes market-rate apartments, an event center, mixed use office/retail, urban gardens and creative green spaces.
- Owner/developer in connection with the construction of a $50 million tech campus in the Indianapolis market.
- Developers in various transactions concerning the acquisition, disposition, and financing of multi-parcel industrial properties ranging from 20 to 150 tenants.
- International petroleum company in connection with guaranties for credit facilitaties ranging from $350-500 million.
- Public company in connection with the development of AIA-based forms for construction contracts for use in the US.
- The owner/redeveloper in connection with a $26 million Fannie Mae re-financing of a portfolio of market rate apartments.
- The seller of a portfolio of 15 low-income housing projects across eight states with HUD financing assumption by buyer.
- The seller of a $38 million medical office building complex to a national REIT.
- National health care educator in connection with multi-state office leasing.
Provided real estate counsel for:
- Major central Indiana specialty orthopaedics hospital and health care physician group regarding on hospital facility leasing, medical office building leasing, development, construction and zoning matters.
- Multi-state transaction involving the sale and lease of a variety of real estate holdings as well as the sale of business assets of a farm implement company.
Served as local real estate counsel to the owners of regional senior living communities on:
- HUD LEAN program credit facilities ranging from $10 million to $15 million. Health care regulatory matters and zoning and real estate issues were addressed in connection with HUD requirements.
- $350 million credit facility that also included health care regulatory matters.
- American Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
Past Chair, Business Law Sections
- Indianapolis Bar Association
Past Chair, Executive Committee, Real Estate and Land Use Section
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation
Life Fellow (2018)
- Fort Benjamin Harrison Reuse Authority
Past President, Board of Directors
- Indiana Business Law Survey Commission
- Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee
- Intelenet Commission
Past Member, Executive Committee (1996 - 2004)
- Out Run the Sun, Inc.
Past Board Member
- Marion County Board of Zoning Appeals
Past Chair, Board II (8 years)