Will’s practice focuses on (1) environmental compliance and permitting, (2) complex environmental litigation and permit appeals, (3) managing environmental remediation projects, and (4) advising clients on environmental due diligence. He routinely advises clients involved in traditional and alternative energy production; petroleum and biofuel refining; solid and hazardous waste collection, processing, and recycling; public and private water and wastewater utility services; medical device manufacturing; and automobile and auto parts manufacturing, among others.
Will’s environmental compliance and permitting practice primarily involves issues under the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. He has experience working with clients on virtually every legal aspect of their environmental permits, including:
- Developing an environmental permitting plan for new or expanding facilities.
- Assisting with day-to-day compliance questions at existing facilities.
- Decommissioning facilities.
- Conducting environmental compliance audits.
- Defending environmental enforcement actions brought by government agencies, such as the U.S. EPA, IDEM, Ohio EPA and others.
Will also has extensive experience representing clients in permitting appeals and environmental litigation. He has defended third-party appeals of environmental permits and challenged environmental permit conditions on behalf of aggrieved permittees. Will has also defended clients in state and federal court actions brought under the federal Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act and other laws addressing liability for environmental contamination.
In addition, Will works with parties conducting environmental remediation projects dealing with soil, surface water and groundwater contamination under both state and federal regulatory programs. He works with those clients to negotiate cost-effective cleanup strategies based on risk-management principles, which protect human health and the environment.
In addition to his J.D., Will also earned his Master of Public Affairs from Indiana University – Bloomington’s School of Public and Environmental Affairs, where he concentrated on environmental and energy policy. This background assists Will in developing creative legal solutions that take into account principles of economics, statistics and environmental science.
All Service Areas
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law - Bloomington
- Indiana University - Bloomington (Master of Public Affairs) (2012)
- Auburn University
- State - Indiana
- Federal - Northern District of Indiana
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
- Indiana Air & Waste Management Association
- American Bar Association
Member, Environment, Energy and Resources Section
- Indianapolis Bar Association
Member, Environmental Law Section
- Environmental Law Institute
- Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. Member, Program Committee