With a focus on areas such as mergers and acquisitions, debt refinancing and restructuring, and business workouts and turnarounds, Michael helps business owners, lenders and other stakeholders when companies are in transition. He represents both healthy and distressed companies in connection with sales, refinancings and liquidations, as well as in chapter 11 section 363 asset sales and “true reorganization” bankruptcy cases where judicial remedies are needed. Michael is known to many as a trusted advisor during difficult times.
In addition, Michael represents secured and unsecured creditors and other stakeholders in distressed businesses with such actions as foreclosure proceedings, preference and other bankruptcy-related litigation, collections and workout advice, and consensual refinancing or restructuring. He has also represented creditor committees (or individual committee members in larger cases) in chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, as well as chapter 7 trustees and receivers.
Michael handles matters in a diverse range of industries, including technology, machinery dealers, hotel/hospitality, service providers, manufacturers, real estate developers and agriculture, among others.
An active member of the law community, Michael is a member of the Association for Corporate Growth, the Indiana Association for Corporate Renewal, the Turnaround Management Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the American Agriculture Law Association and several other similar organizations, as well as state and local bar associations. He is licensed in Indiana, Illinois and Arizona (inactive) and in numerous federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court.
In the community at large, Michael has held many leadership positions, including serving on the board of directors of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and the Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee. He also assists non-profit entities in formation and governance matters and has helped churches and pastors that needed to part company in an appropriate way.
Michael received his undergraduate degree from Marquette University and earned his J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School.
“2017 Lawyer of the Year” for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law in Indianapolis - Best Lawyers in America
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America (2007-2018)
Honoree, Indiana Super Lawyers (2005-2018)
All Service Areas
- University of Michigan Law School (1986)
- Marquette University, B.S. (1983)
- Federal - U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal - 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
- Federal - Southern District of Illinois
- Federal - Central District of Illinois
- Federal - Northern District of Indiana
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
- State - Indiana
- State - Illinois
- State - Arizona (inactive status)
- American Bankruptcy Institute Member
- American Agricultural Law Association Member
- Association for Corporate Growth Member
- Indiana Association for Corporate Renewal Member
- Turnaround Management Association Member
- Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra Board Member; Member: Executive Committee, Finance Committee and Audit Committee
- Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee Board Member
- Brown County Community Foundation Pro Bono Counsel
- Hamblen Township Fire Protection District Board Trustee