Maren is a partner in Taft’s Commercial Litigation practice, focusing principally in the areas of insurance coverage litigation, land use planning and zoning litigation, and general business disputes.
Maren represents corporate policyholders in disputes with their insurers, including representing policyholders in suits for coverage of claims ranging from mass tort, environmental, professional errors and omission, employment, directors and officers, and fiduciary liability, as well as insurance insolvency matters.
Maren also handles various land use matters for both corporate and individual clients in, among others, the waste, aggregate and agriculture industries. Her experience ranges from assisting in various administrative and regulatory proceedings, to vigorously litigating all manner of land use, zoning and environmental disputes.
Maren also represents a broad range of individual and corporate clients in all manners of business and commercial disputes, including general contract disputes, insurance coverage disputes, employment and non-compete claims, ERISA claims, securities litigation, property damage disputes and appellate matters.
Honoree, Super Lawyers Rising Stars
- University of Minnesota Law School (2009)
magna cum laude
Order of the Coif
- University of St. Thomas (2006)
magna cum laude
- State - Minnesota
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Defended a putative class action brought in connection with the acquisition of a publicly traded company.
- Defended a large banking client against claim alleging ERISA violations associated with reorganization and severance benefits.
- Negotiated a multimillion-dollar settlement with third-party's insurer to cover the damages incurred as a result of a third-party's product recall.
- Obtained dismissal of an appeal filed by a citizens group, which sought to reverse a county's grant of a conditional use permit to our client.
- Obtained dismissal of litigation filed by a citizens' group in attempt to block the issuance of general obligation bonds to cover the costs of repair and improvements to public safety facilities and park system.
- Obtained on summary judgment an order that an insurance company was obligated to idemnify its insured, a food distributor, for its settlement of an underlying claim related to a third-party's recall.
- Obtained summary judgment against the party's insurer under a technology errors and omissions policy, for the reimbursement of approximately $1 million in defense costs incurred in an arbitration.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing in its entirety a lawsuit against our client alleging more than $20 million in property damage.
- Pursued a claim before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority seeking to recover damages associated with the sale of non-conventional investments.
- Represented farmers and ranchers who were denied due process in the issuance of an order by a state agency denying them the exercise of their water rights to irrigate their crops and water their livestock.