Justin serves as outside general counsel to a variety of clients and industries; however, the majority of his work arises from real estate development and construction. In addition, Justin serves many clients in the areas of liquor licensing and regulatory issues and hospitality. During the last recession, Justin shifted his focus to representing banks and institutional lenders in workouts, lender liability, and foreclosures – a practice Justin continues to maintain.
Justin brings a team approach to representation, tapping the depth of experience at Taft to ensure that his clients have the best possible legal representation.
A frequent guest lecturer, Justin is often requested to present on industry topics relating to commercial real estate, commercial foreclosures, and agribusiness, among other topics. He addresses classes for the public, as well as creates private customized presentations tailored for client issues.
Honoree, Minnesota Super Lawyers Rising Star (2006 - 2016)
- William Mitchell College of Law (2001)
- St. Cloud State University (1998)
B.A., magna cum laude
- State - Iowa
- State - Minnesota
- State - Wisconsin
- Represented a corporation in union negotiations, successfully reaching a new collective bargaining agreement.
- Represented financial institutions in workouts of complex, multi-million dollar credit facilities.
- Represented construction companies in multi-million dollar projects, ranging from the initial contract to disputes over sums owed or alleged defective work.
- Served as outside general counsel for businesses of all sizes, to address legal needs without incurring the overhead of a full-time, in-house attorney.
- Represented a national student housing entity in acquisition and development of multi-million dollar projects across the nation.
- Represented a regional brewery in all aspects of craft beer operations, including distribution, employee issues and brand development.
- Represented local developers in platting and development of land for use and sale.
- Represented regional restaurant franchisors and families in development of new stores.
Speeches and Publications
“Foreclosure Basics," “7 Things Lawyers Need to Know About Agricultural Real Estate," and “Forbearance Agreements, Deeds in Lieu and Voluntary Foreclosures," Real Estate Institute, Minnesota CLE (2010-2016)
Ethics Discussion at Farm Business Law CLE (Nov. 2015)
“Mechanics Lien Basic,” “How to Get Paid,” “Legislative Updates,” “Minnesota’s Statutory Warranties,” and “Contract Basics," Minnesota River Builders Association Education Blast (2006-2014)
“Pseudo Foreclosure,” Foreclosure Conference, Minnesota CLE (June 2012)
“Business Owner Divorce,” Business Institute, Minnesota CLE (2010)
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- NAIOP Minnesota
- Minnesota Craft Brewers Guild
- Chad Greenway’s Lead the Way Foundation
Member, Executive Board