Jordan S. Bolton
Jordan’s practice focuses on helping business leaders, in-house counsel, and individuals remove barriers to success by providing creative business-centric dispute resolution and transactional services, both within and outside state and federal tribunals nationwide.
Jordan counsels clients in high-stakes litigation, while managing risks and resolving disputes arising out of client operations. He represents clients in a variety of industries, including automotive, construction, financial services, franchise, health care, manufacturing, private equity, real estate, retail, technology, and transportation.
Jordan serves as lead trial lawyer in dozens of high-profile and high-risk matters, regularly representing clients in “bet the company” litigation, class actions, and cases involving significant exposure. Jordan serves clients in litigation pending in dozens of state and federal courts and has substantial experience litigating matters in Michigan’s business courts. As a result of his reputation for creative dispute resolution, Jordan’s colleagues frequently select him to serve as a mediator and arbitrator.
Additionally, Jordan maintains a robust outside general counsel practice for his clients who have varied legal needs but are not yet ready for in-house counsel.
Honoree, Leading Lawyer in Michigan, Leading Lawyers (2022 – present)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Banking and Finance (2019 – present)
Honoree, Top 100 Attorneys, Michigan Super Lawyers (2015 – present)
Honoree, Top 50 Business Attorneys, Michigan Super Lawyers (2015 – 2018, All Years Designated)
Honoree, Top Lawyer, dBusiness (2015 – present)
Honoree, 10/10 Superb Rated, Avvo (2015 – present)
Honoree, Busiest Litigators in Michigan, Crain’s Detroit Business (2015)
Recipient, Legal Aid and Defenders’ Pro Bono Attorney of the Year (2014)
Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2008 – present)
Recipient, AV Preeminent Rated, Martindale-Hubbell (2007 – present)
All Service Areas
- Wayne State University Law School (2003)
J.D., cum laude
- University of Arizona (2000)
B.A., cum laude
- Federal - U.S. Bankruptcy Ct., E.D. of Michigan
- Federal - U.S. Bankruptcy Ct., W.D. of Michigan
- Federal - U.S. Bankruptcy Ct., N.D. of Georgia
- Federal - U.S. District Ct., E.D. of Michigan
- Federal - U.S. District Ct., W.D. of Michigan
- Federal - U.S. District Ct., District of New Jersey
- Federal - U.S. District Ct., S.D. of New York
- Federal - U.S. District Ct., W.D. of New York
- Federal - U.S. District Ct., W.D. of Louisiana
- Federal - U.S. Court of Appeals, 6th Circuit
- Federal - U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- State - Multnomah Circuit Court, Oregon
- State - Philadelphia County, Court of Common Pleas, Commerce Division
- State - Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of KIngs
- State - Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Second Judicial Department
- Obtained the largest judgement in Michigan in 2014 in a fraud and civil RICO action on behalf of municipal client in the amount of $120,000,000 and successfully defended that judgment through bankruptcy proceedings.
- Served as a Special Assistant Attorney General in connection with the Flint Water Crisis class action litigation.
- Prosecuted a fraud and civil RICO action on behalf of a manufacturer, inclusive of a finding of entitlement to significant monetary and other relief as a result of defendants’ spoliation of evidence.
- Prosecuted a trademark action on behalf of a healthcare provider, resulting in immediate grant of a temporary restraining order, followed by capitulation by our opposition prior to hearing on request for preliminary injunction.
- Prosecuted a right of celebrity and trademark action on behalf of an All Star Detroit Red Wing, resulting in immediate grant of injunctive relief, followed by capitulation by our opposition.
- Defended a bet-the-company federal trade secrets action, resulting in dismissal of all claims with prejudice, and an award of attorneys’ fees and costs in favor of our client.
- Prosecuted several supply chain disputes on behalf of suppliers at varying levels, resulting in granting of a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction, followed by recovery of every dollar of alleged damages, plus attorneys’ fees, and costs.
- Defended a bet-the-company shareholder dispute, resulting in dismissal of all claims with prejudice on opening motion, affirmation of decision by the intermediate appellate court, and rejection of a request for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court.
- Prosecuted a series of trade secret and non-compete matters on behalf of a client for whom Jordan serves as outside general counsel, resulting in recovery of injunctive relief and monetary damages.
- Defended hundreds of actions involving claims arising under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, and similar statutes, including obtaining stipulated dismissal of a putative bet-the-company class action on claims brought under the FDCPA on behalf of various credit reporting agencies, debt collectors, publishers, and attorneys.
Speeches and Publications
- Jordan S. Bolton One of Five Named to Birmingham Bloomfield Chamber Board of Directors, Hometown Life, January 30, 2017.
- “Time Tested…Daunting Schedule Proves to Liking of Area Attorney,” Macomb County Legal News, April 29, 2016.
- Jordan S. Bolton Receives Legal Aid and Defender Association Pro Bono Attorney of the Year Award, The Michigan Chronicle, 2014.
- “Pension Funds Get $119M in Fraud, Conversion Action,” Michigan Lawyers Weekly, September 5, 2014.
- “Judge Orders Man To Stop Selling Datsyuk Items,” CBS Detroit, February 7, 2013.
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association for the Eastern District of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan
Judicial Tenure Commission nominee, Judicial Qualifications Committee, Character and Fitness Committee, U.S. Courts Committee, Bar Foundation Life Fellow
- Oakland County Bar Association
2020 Chair of Business Court Bench-Bar Conference, Board of Directors nominee, Discovery Mediator, Pro Bono Mentor, Founding Chair of Business Court and Counsel Committee, Chair of In-House Counsel Committee, Inns of Court Associate and Barrister, Ad Hoc Committees, Bar Foundation Life Fellow
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
Barrister and Bar Foundation Life Fellow
- Birmingham Bloomfield Chamber of Commerce
Board of Directors
- Knollwood Country Club
Board of Directors, Executive Board
- Prosecutors Foundation for the Kids
Board of Directors
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit
Grosfeld 17 Leadership