Jim's practice blends together advice on all aspects of business and corporate law with a concentration in the real estate, land use and oil and gas areas. In his practice, Jim frequently serves as outside general counsel to companies of all sizes, including closely-held and family-owned companies. Jim received the recognition, Who’s Who in Energy by Columbus Business First for his work in the oil and gas sector and alternative power fields.
Jim has handled a variety of complex business and real estate transactions including mergers and acquisitions, debt restructuring and workouts, and sales and exchanges of real property including financing. He also regularly represents court appointed receivers in the management and sale of complex real estate projects. In addition, Jim represents landowners, developers, and the midstream oil and gas industry in activities related to the Marcellus and Utica Shale Play in Ohio.
Jim’s ability to find solutions to land use issues has been enhanced by his twenty years of service as the Chairman of the City of Columbus’ Board of Zoning Adjustment. Medical Mutual honored Jim with the AXA Advisors Non-profit Board Executive of the Year Award in 2016. He frequently engages municipalities, townships and counties on behalf of developers. Jim is also a lecturer in Real Estate Law at The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business.
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America (2016 - present)
Pillar Award: Executive of the Year Honoree, Columbus Board of Zoning Adjustment (2016)
Commercial Instructor of the Year Honoree, Columbus Realtors (2014)
AV Peer Review Rated (Preeminent), LexisNexis/Martindale-Hubbell
All Service Areas
- Duke University School of Law (1981)
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., cum laude (1978)
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- State - Ohio
Speeches and Publications
- Panelist, "Negotiable Lease Terms: Landlords v. Tenants," Commercial/ Industrial section of the Columbus Board of Realtors, September 12, 2013.
- Instructor, “Negotiable Lease Terms, Ground Leases and Receiverships,” International Council of Shopping Centers, Ohio, West Virginia, Western Pennsylvania and Indiana Idea Exchange, August 22, 2013.
- Instructor/Lecturer, “Commercial Real Estate Ethics,” Cincinnati Board of Realtors, Cincinnati, Ohio, May 29, 2013.
- Presenter, “Landowner Concerns in Oil and Gas Leasing,” Energy Law Committee of the Columbus Bar Association, January 19, 2012.
- Author, "Keeping True to Your Culture While Protecting Your Balance Sheet," The Journal, Great Lakes Bankers Bank, Winter, 2011.
- Presenter, “Hurdles to Overcome for Wind Energy Development,” Energy Law Committee of the Columbus Bar Association, October 21, 2010.
- Author, “Lower-Class Apartments Show Value Drop and Promise for Great Return on Investment,” Columbus Business First, September 3, 2010.
- Author, “Small Firms in Prime Position to Take Advantage of Real Estate Woes,” Columbus Business First, May 7, 2010.
- Author, “Don't Count on Big Banks for $1.4 Trillion of Maturing Real Estate Loans,” Columbus Business First, March 5, 2010.
- Central Ohio Land Title Underwriters
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- Ohio Oil and Gas Association
- Columbus Rotary
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Board Member, Central Ohio Chapter
- City of Columbus, Board of Zoning Adjustment
- Columbus Metropolitan Club
- Leadership Columbus
- The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business