Elizabeth E. Babbitt
- E email@example.com
- T (312) 836-4116
- F (312) 966-8556
Elizabeth is an accomplished business litigator and a member of the Taft executive committee. She has significant experience leading large and small corporations, public utilities, and municipalities through complex litigation in both federal and state courts. Elizabeth has a unique depth of experience representing clients in civil rights, class action, and employment litigation. She regularly advises businesses regarding matters relating to employment discrimination, employee whistle-blowing, unfair business practices, trade secrets, restrictive employment covenants, defamation, and breaches of fiduciary duties. Elizabeth is often called upon by clients to handle emergent litigation, and regularly handles litigation in the context of temporary restraining orders or preliminary injunctions. Beyond the litigation context, Elizabeth has a passion for advising businesses regarding compliance on equal access and equal employment issues in the workplace. She also previously represented the City of Chicago in the litigation and negotiation of the Chicago Police consent decree.
Elizabeth is a proven leader of the legal and civic community. In addition to her service to Taft’s Executive Committee, she participates on the firm’s Associate Advancement and Recruitment Committee, and leads the Chicago office’s women’s affinity group. Beyond her firm commitments, Elizabeth is an active member of the Chicago legal community. She previously served as President of the University of Illinois College of Law Alumni Board, and remains an active alumna and mentor to law students. She is a member of the Judicial Evaluation Committee of the Chicago Bar Association, which provides an assessment to the public of candidates for state court judges. Elizabeth is a member of the Mother McAuley High School Alumnae Law Society and assists in coaching the school’s mock trial team; she also previously taught trial advocacy to law students at John Marshall Law School. Prior to joining Taft, Elizabeth was a federal law clerk for the Honorable John W. Darrah of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Elizabeth received her J.D., cum laude, from the University of Illinois College of Law in Urbana-Champaign. While in law school, she served as an editor of the University of Illinois Law Review, competed on the University of Illinois College Trial Team, and participated in the Federal Civil Rights Clinic. Elizabeth holds dual Bachelor of Science degrees in finance and business administration, cum laude, from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
Honoree, “Notable Women in Law” by Crain’s Chicago Business (2022)
Honoree, Leading Lawyers (2022)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Employment Law - Management (2022 - present)
Honoree, Crain's Chicago Business Rising Stars in Law (2021)
Emerging Lawyers Honoree, Leading Lawyers
Honoree, Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Business Litigation
(2017, 2018, 2020 - present)
All Service Areas
- University of Illinois College of Law (2008)
- University of Illinois (2005)
- Federal - U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal - 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- Federal - Central District of Illinois
- Federal - Southern District of Illinois
- State - Illinois
Speeches and Publications
- “Petitions for Rehearing in the Seventh Circuit,” Vol. 31, The Circuit Rider, May 2023, co-author with J. Timothy Eaton and Hudson Cross.
- "When Text Messages Disappear, Sanctions May Appear," Law360, Dec. 7, 2022, co-author with Nicollette Khuans.
- "Chapter 11 — Restrictive Covenants, Trade Secrets, and Fiduciary Duties: The Foundation To Safeguard Competitive Business Advantage," Chancery and Special Remedies (2021 edition) published by IICLE.
- "Chapter 5 — Problems in Contract Formation," Contract Law (2020 edition) published by IICLE, co-author with Paul Coogan.
Taft Chicago Litigation Attorneys Author Article Published in The Circuit Rider
Sixteen Taft Attorneys Recognized in Illinois Rising Stars 2023
Babbitt, Keshvani, and Tragesser Recognized as Crain's 2022 Notable Women in Law
Two Hundred and Forty-Three Taft Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® 2023
- Chicago Bar Association
Investigator, Judicial Evaluation Committee (2018 - present)
- University of Illinois College of Law
Former President (2017)
Former Vice President (2016)
Former Member, Alumni Board (2014 - 2016)
- Mother McAuley High School Law Alumnae Society
Coach, Mock Trial
- Chicago Bar Association Young Lawyers Section
Vice Chair, Women in the Law Committee
Liaison, CBA Record Committee
Special Projects Coordinator