E. Chase Dressman
As the leader of Taft’s Cincinnati Environmental practice group, Chase represents a diverse range of clients with their environmental and regulatory needs, including clients engaged in chemical manufacturing, distribution, and processing (with particular experience in the pesticide industry), industrial, retail and commercial operations, automotive and transportation businesses, utility operations, and real estate development. For more than a decade, Chase has counseled clients on complex and cutting-edge regulatory compliance issues and managed high-stakes environmental litigation and enforcement matters across the country.
Chase is a trusted resource for clients with high volumes of complex chemical/commercial contractual needs. He frequently creates, manages, and negotiates portfolios of regulatory and commercial contracts for national and international companies, with an emphasis on prompt turnaround times and business-oriented solutions. Chase leads a talented group of environmental attorneys who provide the full suite of environmental services to Taft’s clients across the country. He is privileged to have worked for many years with groundbreaking environmental attorneys at Taft responsible for precedent-setting decisions under CERCLA and with regard to emerging contaminants, including the seminal work by Rob Bilott and other Taft team members on major PFAS contamination and exposure cases that were detailed in the motion picture "Dark Waters."
Legal services that Chase routinely provides for clients include:
- Advising companies on managing compliance, remediation, and liability considerations for emerging contaminants such as PFAS and 1,4-dioxane, including with respect to responding to EPA and government requests for information (e.g., CERCLA 104(e) requests), remedial investigation and mitigation efforts, contractual and transactional considerations, and civil/administrative litigation;
- Drafting and negotiating complex chemical manufacturing and distribution agreements, including contract manufacturing/toll formulation agreements, chemical distribution and warehousing agreements, waste transport and disposal contracts, environmental indemnities, environmental liability transfers, voluntary cleanup agreements, Brownfield redevelopment agreements, and FIFRA data compensation and data development contracts and settlements;
- Leading teams in corporate and real estate transactions to manage environmental due diligence and negotiate environmental representations, warranties, indemnities, and other provisions of purchase and sale agreements;
- Advising clients regarding compliance with state and federal environmental laws and regulations (e.g., CERCLA, TSCA, RCRA, EPCRA, FIFRA);
- Voluntary remediation and Brownfield redevelopment, including under Ohio’s Voluntary Action Program (VAP);
- Preparing for, responding to, and defending regulatory inspections and enforcement actions, including by performing environmental and compliance audits of company facilities and operations under federal and state audit/self-disclosure policies; and
- Prosecuting and defending private party lawsuits involving environmental claims (including litigation under CERCLA and equivalent state laws). As an experienced litigator, Chase has represented clients at trial in federal and state court, in arbitration proceedings, and during administrative proceedings (including EPA and state civil enforcement proceedings).
A significant portion of Chase’s practice involves representing companies in the pesticide industry, including manufacturers and distributors of agricultural, conventional, and anti-microbial pesticide products. He assists clients on a daily basis with legal issues under FIFRA (the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act) related to the production, packaging, labeling, distribution, marketing, and development of pesticide products, including data compensation disputes and arbitrations. He has drafted and negotiated hundreds of contracts for companies in the pesticide industry, including contract manufacturing, toll formulation, repackaging, data sharing/development, and supplemental distribution agreements, and advises companies on all facets of compliance with federal and state pesticide regulations, including product registration, labeling, record-keeping, transportation, disposal, and data compensation issues. Chase has defended dozens of civil and criminal claims by EPA and state agencies related to alleged violations of pesticide laws.
In addition to leading Taft’s Cincinnati Environmental practice group, Chase is a leader in his community. He has been recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star in the field of Environmental Litigation since 2015 and by Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” since 2021. He served as the chair of the Cincinnati Bar Association’s Environmental Law Committee for three separate terms and served as the 2018 chair and 2017 vice-chair of the Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce’s Regional Youth Leadership Program, which teaches local high school students leadership skills during monthly seminars. He also served as chair and co-chair of Law Day for Regional Youth Leadership from 2011–2019. Chase is an alumnus of Leadership Northern Kentucky (Class of 2013) and Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (Class 21). He frequently writes and presents on significant environmental matters and issues.
He currently serves as the general counsel for the Greater Cincinnati Hazmat Unit, where he provides legal counsel to local fire, emergency, and other first responders.
Chase received his undergraduate degree, cum laude, with honors, from Xavier University and earned his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Kentucky College of Law, where he was a member of the Kentucky Law Journal, Moot Court, and was selected to and competed on the National Moot Court team. Chase is a life-long resident of the Greater Cincinnati area, where he lives with his wife and children.
Honoree, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Natural Resources & Environment (2022)
Honoree, Best Lawyers® "Ones to Watch" (2021 - 2022)
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Environmental Litigation (2015 - present)
All Service Areas
- University of Kentucky College of Law (2010)
- Xavier University (2007)
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - Eastern District of Kentucky
- State - Ohio
- State - Kentucky
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL)
Member, Class 21
- Leadership Northern Kentucky
Member, Class of 2013
- Cincinnati Bar Association
Former Chair, Environmental Law Committee (2016 - 2018)
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Potter Stewart Inn of Court
- Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce Regional Youth Leadership
Member, Steering Committee (2011 - present)
Chair, Law Day (2011 - present)
Former Chair (2018)
Former Vice-Chair (2017)
- Greater Cincinnati Hazardous Materials Unit