E. Chase Dressman
As the leader of Taft’s Cincinnati Environmental Practice Group, Chase represents a diverse range of clients, including chemical manufacturers and processors (with particular experience in the pesticide industry), retail and wholesale distributors, utilities, industrial manufacturers, automotive and transportation businesses, and real estate developers. Chase is an experienced environmental litigator and transactional attorney, having served as lead counsel on numerous multi-million dollar cases and led environmental due diligence on dozens of deals worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Chase leads a talented group of environmental attorneys who provide the full suite of environmental services to Taft’s clients across the United States.
Legal services that Chase routinely provides include:
- Helping anti-microbial and disinfectant product manufacturers, distributors and retailers comply with state and federal laws governing the marketing and sale of these products. This includes management of SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 claims pursuant to EPA’s interim and emergency coronavirus guidance (e.g., List N).
- Advising clients regarding compliance with state and federal environmental laws and regulations (e.g., RCRA, Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, TSCA, EPCRA, FIFRA);
- Leading teams managing environmental due diligence and negotiating environmental representations, warranties, indemnitees, and other provisions of purchase and sale agreements as part of corporate and real estate transactions;
- Drafting and negotiating environmental and regulatory contracts, including those related to contract manufacturing, toll formulation, pesticide and chemical distribution, waste transport and disposal, environmental indemnitees, environmental liability transfer, voluntary cleanup, Brownfield redevelopment, and FIFRA data compensation and data development;
- Preparing for, responding to, and defending regulatory inspections and enforcement actions;
- Voluntary remediation and Brownfield redevelopment, including under Ohio’s Voluntary Action Program (VAP); and
- Prosecuting and defending private party lawsuits involving environmental claims (including litigation under CERCLA and equivalent state laws). As an experienced litigator, Chase has represented clients at trial in federal and state court, in arbitration proceedings, and during administrative proceedings (including EPA and state civil enforcement proceedings).
A significant portion of Chase’s practice involves representing companies in the pesticide industry, including manufacturers and distributors of agricultural, conventional, and anti-microbial pesticide products. He routinely assists clients with legal issues related to the production, packaging, labeling, distribution, marketing, and development of pesticide products (governed by the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act), including: (i) contract manufacturing, toll formulation, repackaging, and supplemental distribution agreements; (ii) product labeling, record-keeping, distribution, and formulation issues; (iii) transportation and disposal issues; (iv) defense of civil, criminal, and administrative proceedings; and (v) data compensation and cost-sharing negotiations and disputes.
In addition to leading Taft’s Cincinnati Environmental Practice Group, Chase is a leader in his community. He served as the Chair of the Cincinnati Bar Association’s Environmental Law Committee for three separate terms and served as the 2018 Chair and 2017 Vice-Chair of the Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce’s Regional Youth Leadership Program, which teaches local high school students leadership skills during monthly seminars. He also served as Chair and Co-Chair of Law Day for Regional Youth Leadership from 2011 – 2019. Chase is an alumnus of Leadership Northern Kentucky (Class of 2013) and Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (Class 21), and currently serves as a Cincinnati Bar Association Ambassador.
He currently serves as the General Counsel for the Greater Cincinnati Hazmat Unit, where he provides legal counsel to local fire, emergency, and other first responders.
Chase received his undergraduate degree, cum laude, with honors, from Xavier University and earned his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Kentucky College of Law, where he was a member of the Kentucky Law Journal, Moot Court, and was selected to and competed on the National Moot Court team. Chase is a life-long resident of Northern Kentucky, where he lives with his wife and four children.
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Environmental Litigation (2015 - present)
All Service Areas
- University of Kentucky College of Law (2010)
- Xavier University (2007)
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - Eastern District of Kentucky
- State - Ohio
- State - Kentucky
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL)
Member, Class 21
- Leadership Northern Kentucky
Member, Class of 2013
- Cincinnati Bar Association
Former Chair, Environmental Law Committee (2016 - 2018)
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Potter Stewart Inn of Court
- Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce Regional Youth Leadership
Member, Steering Committee (2011 - present)
Chair, Law Day (2011 - present)
Former Chair (2018)
Former Vice-Chair (2017)
- Greater Cincinnati Hazardous Materials Unit