David is partner-in-charge of Taft’s Columbus office. He is a business trial lawyer with extensive experience in complex civil litigation, mass tort class actions and multi-district litigations.
David brings his proactive approach to challenging, specialized casework. He concentrates his practice in federal court, representing companies in a wide range of nuanced, commercial and mass tort legal matters. He also routinely serves as local counsel in federal court.
A critical member of the Taft litigation team, David’s experience includes leading the firm’s special counsel team for a large Ohio agency, handling high-stakes business, healthcare fraud and abuse and construction litigation, and headline-making mass tort environmental and pharmaceutical cases. When the state of Ohio faced tobacco litigation, he and the Ohio team helped secure a record-setting $10 billion settlement for the state.
Prior to his time at Taft, David served as extern to the Honorable Justice Paul E. Pfeifer, Ohio Supreme Court, and to the Honorable Magistrate Judge Barry S. Seltzer, United States District Court, Southern District of Florida. He currently serves on the development board of Riverside Hospital and is an active member of the Columbus, Ohio, American and Federal Bar Associations.
David received his undergraduate degree, cum laude, from the University of Notre Dame and his J.D. from the University of Notre Dame Law School.
AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation Law (2014 - present)
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2015 - present)
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers, Top 50 Columbus
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2005 - 2007, 2009, 2011 - 2012)
Under Age 36 Community Service Award Honoree, Columbus Bar Association (2004)
Forty Under 40 Honoree, Business First (2004)
Honoree, Top Ten Personal Injury Settlements (2017)
All Service Areas
- University of Notre Dame Law School (1997)
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., cum laude (1994)
- Federal - Northern District of Ohio
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - U.S. Supreme Court
- State - Ohio
- Counsel in multi-district litigation involving claims of thousands of individuals exposed to a chemical in their drinking water ("C8") that has been linked to causing six serious diseases (including two types of cancer) in humans.
- Represents governmental entities in lawsuits against the distributors and manufacturers of opioid pain medications.
- Member of the firm’s special counsel group for the state of Ohio in the “national tobacco litigation,” contributing significantly to the record setting $10 billion settlement for the state of Ohio.
- Represents large Ohio state agency in two lawsuits, including a purported class action, seeking hundreds of millions of dollars of alleged premium overpayments.
- Represents an owner of a municipal power company in construction litigation concerning large power plants.
- Represented an international lawn and garden company in successful enforcement actions involving Lanham Act violations and trademark/trade dress infringement.
- Represented an international construction and consulting company in a fraud and breach of contract lawsuit, resulting in a favorable ruling on summary judgment and ultimate favorable settlement.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in the successful defense of a disappointed bidders’ fraud and open meetings act challenge to the state award of an eight year, $45 million contract to provide electronic benefits transfer services to more than 450,000 Ohio food stamp recipients.
- American Health Lawyers Association
Member, Fraud and Abuse Section
- American Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Riverside Hospital Development Board