David handles complex corporate transactions, particularly mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, joint ventures and strategic commercial relationships. With respect to mergers and acquisitions, he has represented buyers and sellers of both private businesses and publicly held companies in a wide range of industries throughout the United States and internationally. In addition, David is experienced advising clients on corporate governance matters.
David has particular experience in the payments industry, handling acquisitions of payments-related businesses and assisting clients with payment processing agreements and other technology-related services agreements. He also has significant experience with industrial manufacturing and food and agribusiness operations.
Prior to joining Taft, David was a partner in the corporate group of Eversheds Sutherland (US), LLP in Atlanta, Ga.
Honoree, Georgia Super Lawyers® “Rising Stars” (2005–2012)
Honoree, Mergers & Acquisitions - Leading Lawyers (2019)
Recognized by The Legal 500 United States in the area of mergers, acquisitions and buyouts (2009)
- Emory University School of Law (1999)
- Vanderbilt University (1996)
- State - Ohio
- State - Kentucky
- State - Georgia
- Represented international services firm in the acquisition of a technology services business with operations in the United States, the United Kingdom, Brazil, Hungary, and Japan.
- Represented publicly-traded financial services company in the acquisition of multiple growth companies in the FinTech and payments industry.
- Represented publicly traded infrastructure business in its sale and the separate split off of a related business in a private securities offering in a transaction valued at $120 million.
- Represented food and agribusiness concern in the acquisition of a food manufacturing business for $500 million.
- Represented public company diversified industrials business in divestiture of subsidiary for $185 million.
- Represented consumer products company in a merger with a public company in a transaction valued at $2.6 billion.
- Represented private equity sponsor in formation of multiple funds.
- Represented venture-backed technology business in its sale to European software company for $35 million.
- Represented food company in acquisition of well-known consumer brand for $43 million.
- Represented publicly-traded construction materials company in multiple acquisitions and divestitures.
Speeches and Publications
Acquisition of Privately-Held Company: Drafting Points for the Stock Purchase Agreement, Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia – Negotiated Corporate Acquisitions Program, February 2017.
Negotiating Letters of Intent: Using the Tools and Avoiding the Traps – Corporate and Litigation Perspectives, 36th Annual Business Law Institute, October 2017.
Insuring M&A Success: A Practical Guide for Utilizing Representation and Warranty Insurance, 35th Annual Business Law Institute, October 2016.
- American Bar Association
Mergers and Acquisitions Committee
- Emory Public Interest Committee
Former Member, Advisory Board
- Georgia Justice Project
Former Member, Board of Directors