Ronan represents private equity funds, large multi-national corporations and closely-held and family-owned businesses in complex transactions involving mergers, acquisitions and recapitalizations. Ronan also advises growth stage and mature companies in connection with securing debt and equity financing, counsels business clients on general corporate matters and acts as outside general counsel to a number of local companies.
Ronan graduated from the University of California at San Diego with a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics. He earned his J.D. from the Washington University School of Law in St. Louis, where he served as an associate editor of the Journal of Law & Policy. Prior to joining the firm, he was an associate for the Los Angeles office of a large international law firm and worked as a staff attorney for the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles’ Eviction Defense Center. Prior to law school, Ronan worked in management and outside sales for a Fortune 1000 company.
Honoree, Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Star
Honoree, Indianapolis Business Journal's Forty Under 40 (2016)
Honoree, Indiana Lawyer's Leadership in Law - Up and Coming Lawyer (2016)
Finalist, Indy's Best and Brightest Awards (2015 and 2016)
Indianapolis Bar Association's Young Lawyer of the Year (2014)
Indianapolis Bar Assocation's Leader of the Quarter (Spring 2014)
"2013 Deal of the Year" by Indiana Chapter Association for Corporate Growth (representation of purchaser)
"2013 M&A Deal of the Year ($50mm to $100mm)" by New York Chapter Association for Corporate Growth (representation of seller)
All Service Areas
- Washington University School of Law in St. Louis (2009)
- University of California at San Diego (B.A., Economics) (2002)
- Federal - Central District of California
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
- State - Indiana
- State - California (inactive status)
- Represented Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P. in the sale of Anchor Drilling Fluids USA (a leading provider of oilfield drilling services) to Q’Max America Inc. for $84 million.
- Represented locally owned chain of independent wholesale auto auctions in its sale to a private equity backed competitor to create the largest independent group of wholesale auto auctions in the country.
- Represented portfolio company of private equity fund in the add-on acquisition of a leading provider of retail theft prevention products and services.
- Represented local designer and manufacturer of filtration systems and replacement filters for stationary hydraulic and industrial lubrication filtration applications in its sale to a large public competitor.
- Represented one of the largest domestic bus manufacturers in numerous strategic acquisitions.
- Represented inventor in his sale of a pet care business with an inventive product line, and related intellectual property portfolio.
- Represented local family office in its purchase of a manufacturer of high quality injection molded plastic products.
- Represented portfolio company of private equity fund in the add-on acquisition of a German company providing retail theft prevention products and services.
- Represented local nurse and allied staffing business in its sale to a leading national competitor.
- Represented vehicle manufacturer in its strategic divestiture of a non-core brand and related assets.
- Represented leading provider of high-quality study abroad education programming in its sale to a strategic competitor.
- Represented large electric power generator in a strategic divestiture of a decommissioned asset.
- Represented owner of an auction management software platform in the sale of the platform to a strategic business.
- Represented international 3PL provider in its divestiture of distressed ancillary operations.
- Represented private equity fund in the sale of a leading provider of right of way and land management services.
- Represented local HVAC provider in its purchase of substantially all of the assets of a complementary local business.
- Represented private equity fund in the sale of a leading provider of marketing and sales messaging, tools and training products.
- Represented the number one supplier of performance-upgrade aftermarket brake products in its sale to a private equity fund.
- Represented private equity fund in the sale of a distributor of replacement windshields, glass, windows and awnings for RVs, heavy trucks and specialty vehicles.
- Represented portfolio company of private equity fund in the add-on acquisition of a communications company specializing in marketing and sales enablement content.
- Represented local manufacturer of point-of-care diagnostic products in its acquisition of the assets of a business unit of a large international company.
- Represented private equity fund in the sale of a leading distributor and manufacturer of medical and surgical devices.
Other Representative Matters:
- Acts as outside general counsel to a number of local companies.
- Represented aviation company in the creation and negotiation of an innovative multimillion dollar supply agreement.
- Created a novel equipment licensing program for a large manufacturer of construction materials.
- Regularly aids companies with implementing incentive plans to motivate key team members (including option plans, phantom equity plans, etc.).
- Works with owners of closely-held and family-owned businesses to effectuate internal share sales to facilitate transfer of ownership of the business to family members or employees.
- Indianapolis Bar Association
Business Law Section Executive Committee, Member (2016-present)
Bar Leader Series Steering Committee, Member (2015-present)
Board of Directors (2014)
Young Lawyer's Division
Member of Executive Committee (2012-2015)
Vice-Chair-Legal Education (2013)
Bar Leader Series XII, Graduate (2014-2015)
Creator and Organizer "Intro to Indy" Series
- Association for Corporate Growth
Member, Indianapolis Chapter (2012-present)
- Venture Club of Indiana
Spotlight Presenter Committee (Member, 2014)
- Boys & Girls Club of Indianapolis
Board of Directors and Program Committee, Member (2016-Present)
- The Penrod Society
Member and Arts Fair Volunteer (2013-Present)
- Meals on Wheels
Member, Board of Directors
Strategic Planning Committee and Delivery Volunteer
- United Way of Central Indiana
Tocqueville Society & Emerging Leaders Mentor Program, Mentee (2013-2017)
Member, Steering Committee (2015-2017)
Co-Chair, Ambassador Committee (2016)
Leadership United Generation Now Leadership Program, Graduate (2011-2012)
- Methodist Health Foundation's Inspiring Leaders Program
- Leadership Indianapolis
President's Council, Member (2015-2017)
Get on Board Committee, Member (2014)
Opportunity Indianapolis Program, Participant (Spring 2014)
- Charles A. Tindley Accelerated Schools
Trailblazer Organizing Committee, Member (2015-2016)