Tony focuses his practice on private equity venture capital matters. He also works closely with the construction, restaurant and hospitality, and technology industries and represents clients on major commercial real estate transactions.
Tony previously served as the partner-in-charge of the Chicago office and was a member of Taft's firm wide Executive Committee.
Beyond his practice at Taft, Tony also contributes to a wide range of civic, professional, public service, and corporate organizations. Among the diverse institutions, Tony holds leadership positions at Westminster Funds Advisory Board, Lane Industries, Inc., Partnership for a Connected Illinois, Inc, Kohl Children’s Museum, and the Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce.
He also spends time passing on his wisdom and experiences lecturing at Continuing Legal Education Seminars on various topics, including Land Use Law, Like-Kind Exchanges in Estate Planning, EB-5 Real Estate and Immigration Investments, and Commercial Real Estate Leases. Previously, Tony taught at the J. L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University and at the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Tony received his B.S., summa cum laude, from MacMurray College and his J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School.
AV Peer Review Rated (Preeminent), Martindale-Hubbell
Honoree, Illinois Super Lawyers (2005 - present)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law (1999 - present)
Top Lawyer Honoree, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Real Estate- Zoning and Land Use (2008 - 2014)
Honoree, Leading Lawyers
All Service Areas
- Harvard Law School (1979)
- MacMurray College (B.S., summa cum laude, Political Science) (1976)
- State - Illinois
- Tishman Hotels: Various hotel and commercial investments in Chicago, IL
- Pizzuti Co.: Major industrial warehouse developments in Suburban Chicago, IL
- J.P. Morgan Chase Pension Advisory Group: Aqua Residential/Hotel Development in Chicago, IL, and the New City mixed-use development
- Kinship Capital: Private equity joint ventures
Speeches and Publications
Speaker, Professional Education Broadcast Network CLE Programs
Links to course materials and MP3 audio recordings below.
Tax Planning for Real Estate, Part 2 (Oct. 24, 2019) Link
Tax Planning for Real Estate, Part 1 (Oct. 23, 2019) Link
Restructuring, Subleases, and Insolvency (Sept. 20, 2019) Link
Unwinding a Commercial Real Estate Transaction, Part 2 (July 3, 2019) Link
Unwinding a Commercial Real Estate Transaction, Part 1 (July 2, 2019) Link
Buying and Selling Commercial Real Estate, Part 2 (June 26, 2019) Link
Buying and Selling Commercial Real Estate, Part 1 (June 25, 2019) Link
Legal Ethics in Contract Drafting (May 24, 2019) Link
Mother Nature & Leases: Drafting Issues to Protect Against Storms & Other Damage (April 23, 2019) Link
Appraisals in Commercial Real Estate Finance & Development (March 21, 2019) Link
Risky Tenants: Drafting Issues for Landlords (Jan. 24, 2019) Link
Estate Planning with Like-Kind Exchanges (Jan. 8, 2019) Link
Guarantees in Real Estate Transactions (Dec. 11, 2018) Link
Common Area Maintenance, Insurance & Taxes Provisions in Commercial Leases (Nov. 8, 2018) Link
My Client’s Commercial Real Estate Mortgage is Due, Now What? (June 15, 2018) Link
- International Association of Attorneys and Executives in Corporate Real Estate
- Westminster Funds Advisory Board
Member (2010 - present)
- Lane Industries, Inc.
Member, Board of Directors (2010 - present)
- J. L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University
Former Adjunct Professor (1989 - 2011)
- Illinois Institute of Technology
Former Adjunct Professor (2009 - 2015)
- IIT, Graduate School of Architecture
Former Adjunct Professor
- Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce
Former Member (2001 - 2017)
- Partnership for a Connected Illinois, Inc.
Chairman of the Board (2009 - present)
- Illinois Capital Development Board
Former Chairman (2003 - 2011)
- Lambda Alpha International, Ely Chapter
- Highland Park Plan Commission
- Highland Park United Way
Former Member, Board of Directors
- Highland Park Housing Commission
- Midwestern University
Former Member, Finance and Executive Committee