Property Tax Litigation and Appeals
Real and personal property taxation and assessments are of particular concern to property developers, owners, tenants, and local governments. Our attorneys have decades of experience representing numerous businesses and taxing authorities, giving us a deep understanding of both valuation concepts and how to present them to decision-makers. We also represent property owners and developers with manufacturing, commercial, industrial, and vacant properties, providing counsel in real and personal property tax appeals and real estate transaction planning. We also have extensive courtroom and administrative appeals experience before the Indiana Tax Court, the Michigan Tax Tribunal and State Tax Commission, Minnesota Tax Court, the Ohio Board of Tax Appeals, local boards of review, and state and federal appellate courts.
Most often, the initial question is whether a property has been overvalued. We connect clients with expert appraisers who can help analyze that question. Questions sometimes also arise about whether a property has been properly classified, or is exempt from property tax. We have handled many high-impact cases involving cutting edge valuation issues, and we know how to present complex valuation analyses so that they can be understood by the trial court.
- Successfully represented Minnesota Counties at the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota Supreme Court in case where commercial taxpayer sought to end-run and disrupt Minnesota’s property tax system by asserting “constitutional” claims outside Minnesota’s statutory framework for resolving property tax disputes.
- Successfully represented local municipality in negotiating settlement saving millions in additional refund payments in a multi-year property tax appeal on an industrial facility.
- Trial victory for county in valuation of large urban manufacturing property.
- Represented electric utility in annual property tax assessment process.
- Trial victory for gas utility in litigation of centrally-assessed valuation for property tax.
- Advising non-profit property owners regarding eligibility for property tax exemption.
- Extensive experience with disputes about valuation of big-box retail stores.
- Represented Fortune 500 company challenging property tax assessment on R&D facility.
- Advising utilities, cooperatives, and railroads about centrally-assessed property tax.
- Advising owners of property portfolios about property tax implications of transactions.
- Trial and appellate victories in long-running litigation concerning valuation of complex agri-business properties.