To compete locally or abroad, companies need to understand the international marketplace. Every nation and governing body has unique challenges and regulations affecting every facet of business, from operations and employment to transactions and intellectual property. Without strong, international legal acumen and connections, an organization’s growth can stagnate, or worse, sputter out.
Taft represents many U.S. companies with operations and activities abroad, as well as foreign enterprises that do business in the U.S. By leveraging our diverse legal experience, international skills and valuable connections, we deliver pointed and practical counsel across a full spectrum of legal needs.
We have broad experience in key international areas of business, including:
- Creating joint ventures with foreign partners.
- Direct investments.
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Establishing foreign subsidiaries or branch operations.
- Filing merger notifications under host country regulations.
- Appointing foreign distributors and agents, and preparing the agreements in connection with such appointments.
- Assisting clients in obtaining letters of credit.
- Registering trademarks in foreign countries where allowed and working with foreign local counsel or agents to register patents, trademarks and copyrights where not.
- Licensing and transferring technology and other IP rights.
- Advising on taxation and transfer pricing.
- Compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the United Nations Convention for the International Sale of Goods, NAFTA and other laws affecting international commerce.
We are proud of our strong, working relationships with local counsel in many countries around the world. Through the hard work and dedication of our International, Immigration, Japan, and China practices, our attorneys provide comprehensive counsel to clients in every major industry and business capital in the world.
The Interlex Group and Lexwork International
Taft is dedicated to the continued support of our clients. As our clients expand their businesses regionally, nationally, and internationally, we expand our services to meet their growing needs. Our membership with both The Interlex Group and Lexwork International empowers us to stay on the cutting edge of international business regulations and legal trends. The Interlex Group is an association of 49 leading law firms from around the world (only six from the U.S.) that collaborate to provide a complete range of international legal and business services to clients. Lexwork International is a strategic alliance of midsized law firms based in major cities in the United States, Canada, and Europe, with additional offices in Asia. In both organizations, each member firm supplies the legal services required by corporate clients, within their jurisdictions. Together, these firms also provide support for cross-border and cross-jurisdiction transactions, as needed.