Taft’s energy team provides sophisticated counsel on complex commercial transactions, with an emphasis on transactional strategy and structure; power purchase agreements; developer and vendor contracts; purchase and sale of public and private entities and divisions (including stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures); customer service agreements; generation, transmission and distribution project agreements; and restructuring and reorganization. We often partner with our excellent real estate, commercial, construction and financing teams to complete these complex projects, while providing the regulatory expertise to align the commercial process with achieving necessary regulatory approvals.
We regularly help clients with complex energy projects, including:
- Acquisitions, divestitures, and development of energy infrastructure.
- Power Purchase agreements.
- Real estate purchases or sales.
- Corporate restructuring and organizational matters.
Our attorneys provide business-oriented, practical solutions that integrate our clients’ goals with the complex landscape of energy and utility law, including:
- Assisting clients in negotiation, diligence, financing, and transactional arrangements for the acquisition, development, and sale of various energy projects including generation, transmission, utility operations and facilities, and service companies.
- Representing utility clients in the retirement, decommissioning, environmental closure, and sale and redevelopment of power plants.
- Negotiating power purchase agreements on behalf of utilities and developers for wind energy generation, solar energy generation, natural gas generation, hydroelectric generation, biomass generation, and coal-fired generation in multiple states.
- Negotiating major supply agreements, purchase and sale agreements, consulting services agreements, professional services agreements, software agreements, and maintenance agreements on behalf of utilities.
- Handling negotiation of vendor contracts for major equipment at electric generation facilities, and numerous engineering, procurement, and construction agreements on behalf of utilities.
- Participating in complex PURPA related transactions to transition interconnection and rate treatment from state to federal jurisdiction.
- Representing utilities and developers in numerous electric service agreements with customers, including customers with large behind-the-meter generation and specific metering requirements.
- Negotiating generator interconnection agreements, facilities construction agreements, and related documents for multiple entities nationwide pursuant to open access transmission tariffs.
- Advising and assisting on pole attachments and right-of-way matters, including the development, negotiation, and administration of Pole License Agreement, National Electrical Safety Code compliance, and administration of right-of-way ordinances.