With more than 30 years of experience serving a variety of businesses in central Ohio, Tony has a proven track record advising and serving as general counsel for family-owned businesses. Providing a strategic and tailored approach to client business objectives, Tony oversees legal compliance for C-level executives on business needs including the establishment of advisory boards, control issues, governance, succession planning and wealth transfer.
Tony has served as counsel for a Chapter 11 Debtor in possession, as counsel to creditors’ committees in bankruptcy proceedings and has engaged in restructurings of distressed companies outside of the bankruptcy process. He is a member of Taft’s Distressed Company Task Force, which was created to assist borrower clients in every way during the COVID-19 pandemic, including how to navigate discussions with their lenders and in addressing concerns over suppliers and stakeholders.
Tony represents companies, individuals and business owners involving:
- Wealth transfer, estate and gift tax planning.
- Business succession planning.
- Corporate and business law.
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Securities financing and private placement.
- Structuring renewable and other energy projects.
- Commercial real estate transactions.
Tony routinely counsels clients regarding entity selection, formation and governance. He also provides counsel on capitalization and financing including loan documentation, private equity, private placements and dispute resolution among business owners including owners of minority interests.
For his wealth transfer clients, Tony assists with estate and succession planning, including structuring and implementing sophisticated estate planning strategies such as dynasty trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, sales to grantor trusts, family partnerships or limited liability companies and family foundations, as well as negotiating estate and gift tax return audit settlements with the Internal Revenue Service.
Tony is also known for his success in negotiating and closing multi-million dollar acquisitions (on the buyer and seller side). He often represents businesses in securing and documenting syndicated financing in excess of $100 million.
In addition, Tony’s experience in the energy industry includes acquisitions of pipeline companies and natural gas and electricity marketers. He represents renewable energy developers and installers, and structures transactions for solar farms and other renewable energy installations.
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America (2005 - present)
Honoree, Ohio Super Lawyers (2004, 2006 - 2014, 2016 - 2019)
AV Peer Review Rated (Preeminent), Martindale-Hubbell
Honoree, Columbus CEO Top Lawyers, Lending & Corporate Finance (2019)
All Service Areas
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (1979)
- The Ohio State University, B.A. (1977)
- Columbus International College, A.A. (1974)
- State - Ohio
Speeches and Publications
- Frequent lecturer to the general public and to attorneys, primarily on estate planning and business succession issues
- “Private Companies Should Heed Sarbanes-Oxley Act” Columbus Business First, July 1, 2005
- Author: “Succession Planning for the Family Business. Does Your Business Have Long-Term Care Insurance?” CWS Newsletter, Vol. 2, 2009
- Author: “Important Tax Provisions for Business Owners” CWS Newsletter, Vol. 3, 2010
- Columbus Bar Association
Member, Estate and Gift Tax Subcommittee
- Ohio State Bar Association
Member, Corporate Counsel Committee
Member, Estate Planning Probate and Trust Law Committee
- Easterseals of Central and Southeast Ohio
Board Member (2017 - present)
- Lifecare Alliance Legacy Endowment Advisory Council
Former Member, Advisory Board (2018)
- Conway Center for Family Business
Former Leader, Succession Planning Peer Group (2013 - 2018)
- Capital University Law School
Former Adjunct Professor, Graduate Tax Program