Tony represents individuals and business owners in connection with transactions involving:
- Corporate and business law.
- Mergers and acquisitions.
- Business success planning.
- Financing and Private Placement of Securities.
- Structuring of renewable and other energy projects.
- Commercial real estate.
- Wealth Transfer and Estate and gift tax planning.
Tony has a special focus and proven track record acting as general counsel to a variety of businesses and advising closely held and family-owned businesses on their unique needs including the establishment of advisory boards, control issues, governance, succession planning and wealth transfer.
Tony routinely counsels clients regarding entity selection, formation and governance; capitalization and financing, including loan documentation, private equity and private placements; and resolution of disputes among minority owners.
Tony is experienced in successfully negotiating and closing acquisitions (on buyer and seller side) of various sizes, ranging from several million dollars to transactions of much greater size. He often represents businesses in securing and documenting syndicated financing in excess of $100 million.
In addition, Tony’s experience in the energy industry includes acquisitions of pipeline companies and natural gas and electricity marketers, as well as representing renewable energy developers and installers, and structuring transactions for solar farms and other renewable energy installations.
Tony’s wealth transfer practice involves assisting clients with estate and succession planning, including structuring and implementing sophisticated estate planning strategies such as dynasty trusts, GRATs, sales to grantor trusts, family partnerships or limited liability companies, and family foundations, as well as negotiating settlements with the Internal Revenue Service in audits of estate and gift tax returns.
Tony previously served as an adjunct professor in the graduate tax program at Capital University Law School.
Listed in Best Lawyers in America (2005-present)
Listed by Ohio Super Lawyers (2004, 2006-2014, 2016-present)
AV Peer Review (Preeminent) Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
All Service Areas
- The Ohio State University College of Law (1979)
- The Ohio State University, B.A. (1977)
- Columbus International College, A.A. (1974)
- State - Ohio
Speeches and Publications
- Frequent lecturer to the general public and to attorneys, primarily on estate planning and business succession issues
- “Private Companies Should Heed Sarbanes-Oxley Act” Columbus Business First, July 1, 2005
- Author: “Succession Planning for the Family Business. Does Your Business Have Long-Term Care Insurance?” CWS Newsletter, Vol. 2, 2009
- Author: “Important Tax Provisions for Business Owners” CWS Newsletter, Vol. 3, 2010
- Columbus Bar Association Estate and Gift Tax Subcommittee, Former Chairman
- Ohio State Bar Association Corporate Counsel Committee and Estate Planning Probate and Trust Law Committee
- Easterseals of Central and Southeast Ohio
Board Member (2017-present)
- Lifecare Alliance Legacy Endowment Advisory Council
Advisory Board member (2018)