Thomas L. Bray
- E email@example.com
- T (612) 977-8285
- F (612) 977-8650
Tom practices principally in the areas of:
- Real estate development
- Commercial real estate sales and acquisitions
- Commercial leasing
- Common interest communities
- Land use and zoning
- Workouts and foreclosures
- Real estate finance
Commercial Real Estate
Tom has more than 30 years experience representing both corporate and individual clients in all types of real estate acquisition, financing, development and sale transactions. He has significant experience in the acquisition and development of land for commercial, residential and mixed use condominium and planned community projects, including condominium conversions. Tom also participated in the drafting of the Minnesota Common Interest Ownership Act and its subsequent amendments.
As a complement of his practice, Tom works closely with the public finance team and often serves as special counsel to cities and municipal development authorities in connection with commercial real estate development projects.
Tom represents both landlords and tenants with all types of commercial leasing arrangements involving office, retail and industrial property.
Workouts and Foreclosures
In his work with lenders and creditors, Tom has been involved in numerous workouts and foreclosures including, most recently, numerous foreclosures of land acquisition mortgages and construction mortgages on partially developed single-family residential and residential condominium projects.
Tom actively assists a local nonprofit housing provider with issues relating to residential development and condominium construction. He is active in the Real Property Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association. Tom is a past chair of the Section, is the chair of the Section's MCIOA Committee and a member of the Section's Legislative Committee.
Honoree, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Real Estate (2019 - present)
Honoree, Top Lawyers, Real Estate Law, Minnesota Monthly
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law (2013 - present)
Honoree, Super Lawyers, Real Estate and Business
North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association
All Service Areas
- University of Minnesota Law School (1988)
magna cum laude
- University of Minnesota (1984)
- State - Minnesota
- State - Wisconsin
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Representation of a shopping center developer in the acquisition of an enclosed regional mall and adjacent properties and the entitlement and financing of the demolition and redevelopment of the mall and adjacent properties as a Wal-Mart anchored power center.
- Representation of a private equity firm in the acquisition of a ground lease for a commercial airline maintenance facility, and related agreements.
- Representation of a residential developer in the creation of a Master Association and in the development of documentation to integrate the Master Association and a pre-existing, adjacent Condominium Association with respect to certain shared amenities.
- Representation of a large, closely-held corporation in connection with the acquisition of its corporate headquarters building and a related financing transaction.
- Representation of a municipal Development Authority in the preparation and negotiation of a Development Agreement for a 300-plus acre, mixed-use development, the negotiation of various amendments to the Development Agreement; negotiations and litigation with a foreclosing lender regarding the Development Agreement; the Development Authority’s acquisition of the undeveloped land from the foreclosing lender and the sale and development of various parcels.
- Representation of a retail beverage industry client in connection with various retail leases.
- Representation of a closely-held, private real estate development and property management company in connection with the development of an urban, mixed-use, residential/ retail development.
- Representation of a large cheese manufacturer in the assemblage of land for a cheese plant in Michigan.
- Representation of a national home builder in documentation for single family and multifamily residential developments.
- Representation of an individual and his closely held entity in the acquisition of an automobile recycling center.
- Representation of an international mining corporation in connection with various acquisition and option transactions.
- Representation of Regional Airport Authority in various ground lease transactions.
- Representation of an investment fund in connection with the acquisition of a 7-building office park.
- Representation of a developer in connection with a mixed-use residential, hotel, retail, and office condominium.
- Representation of a developer in connection with the development of a 57-unit condominium project.
- Representation of a residential developer in the connection with the severance of approximately 100 undeveloped lots from an existing Common Interest Community for redevelopment.
- Representation of client in connection with an approximately 24,500 square foot lease of a former grocery store site and conversion to a wellness and fitness center.
Taft Ranks with 69 Attorneys and 29 Practices Recognized in Chambers USA 2023 Guide
Two Hundred and Forty-Three Taft Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America® 2023
Thirty-Four Taft Minneapolis Attorneys Recognized in Minnesota Monthly Top Lawyers 2022
Taft Ranks in Chambers USA 2022 with 59 Attorneys and 25 Practices Recognized
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
Certified Real Property Law Specialist
Past Chair, Real Property Law Section Council
Chair, Real Property Law Section, Minnesota Common Interest Ownership Act (MCIOA) Committee
Member, Real Property Law Section, Legislative Committee
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Ramsey County Bar Association