Scott G. Knudson
- E firstname.lastname@example.org
- T (612) 977-8279
- F (612) 977-8650
Scott is a partner in Taft's Commercial Litigation and Appellate practices, with a concentration on environmental, transportation, and banking law and bond defaults and litigation. He also focuses on Native American law.
Scott is a former law clerk for the Hon. William H. Rehnquist of the U.S. Supreme Court and the Hon. Edward A. Tamm of the U.S. District Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.
While in law school, Scott was a research editor for the Minnesota Law Review. Prior to joining Taft, Scott practiced with the firm of Latham & Watkins in its Washington, D.C. office.
He is fluent in Norwegian.
Honoree, Minnesota Super Lawyers
Attorney of the Year, Minnesota Lawyer (2017)
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- University of Minnesota Law School (1982)
summa cum laude
Order of the Coif
Phi Kappa Phi
- Harvard University (1975)
magna cum laude
- State - District of Columbia
- State - Minnesota
- Federal - 8th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Federal - U.S. Tax Court
- Federal - 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
- In re Petition for Instructions to Construe Basic Resolution 876 of the Port Authority of the City of Saint Paul
Dispute between issuer of industrial development revenue bonds and holders of those bonds.
- Defended railroad following derailment, resulting in largest release of ammonia in U.S. history. Represented carrier in NTSB investigation, environmental enforcement actions and thousands of personal injury claims.
- Nixon v. Missouri Municipal League, 541 U.S. 125
Amicus representation - telecommunications.
- Plains Commerce Bank v. Long Family Land & Cattle Co., Inc.
Amicus representation - tribal law.
- Responsible Governance for Roseville v. City of Roseville
Defended challenge to bond issue.
- Numerous petitions for instructions brought on behalf of bank corporate trust department.
- Conducted statutory and regulatory analysis to assist in drafting contract regarding use of railroad tracks by state commuter trains.
- Defended railroad against dozens of personal injury and property damage claims arising out of fuel spillage, a multi-week trial ending in a defense verdict.
- Represented farmers and ranchers who were denied due process in the issuance of an order by a state agency denying them the exercise of their water rights to irrigate their crops and water their livestock.
- Represented a national retailer of music instruments with information technology needs in marketing, enterprise resource planning, big data analytics, inventory management, back office services and other services.
- Represented private school in matter concerning defamation and anonymous Internet speech.
- Represented long-distance company in state commission complaint proceeding against company not properly certificated by state commission.
- Represented a long-distance company in obtaining an injunction for a tribal court from adjudicating a Tribal Telephone Company's collection action.
- Successful representation of trustee in a fee dispute. After trial by court, the Court of Appeals affirmed district court award of approximately $8 million in trustee fees.
Nineteen Attorneys Recognized as 2018 North Star Lawyers for Commitment to Pro Bono Service
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
Former Member, Board of Directors (Minnesota Chapter)
- District of Columbia Bar
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
Board Member, History Committee
- Minnesota Landmarks
Member, Executive, Finance and Personnel Committees
- Northern Star Council of Boy Scouts of America
Member, Board of Directors
- St. Paul School Board
Co-Chair, Citizens' Advisory Budget and Finance Committee (three years)
- Norwegian American Historical Association
Treasurer and Board Member