Rick specializes in commercial real estate, finance, and business planning. He has more than 35 years of experience representing developers, owners, operators, and investors in all asset classes, including senior housing, multi-family units, manufactured housing, office, retail, industrial, mixed-use, and hotels.
Rick provides representation in all aspects of commercial real estate, including acquisitions, dispositions, financing, joint ventures, leasing, restructurings, and workouts. Rick also serves as an advisor to business entities in diverse industries regarding all aspects of formation, governance, and operation. He gears his results-oriented practice toward thoroughly understanding his client’s needs and providing strategic counsel from beginning to end while mitigating risks and planning for the future.
Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers, Real Estate (2006 – 2022)
Honoree, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2004 – present)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America (2005 – 2022)
Honoree, Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers, Real Estate Law (2019)
Honoree, Top Lawyer, DBusiness (2011 – 2020)
All Service Areas
- University of Michigan Law School
J.D., magna cum laude
Order of the Coif
- University of Iowa
- State - Michigan
Rick has represented:
- A Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) in the acquisition and financing of a multi-state portfolio of 56 manufactured housing communities.
- An owner/operator in the recapitalization of 26 senior housing facilities offering independent living, assisted living, and memory care services.
- A purchaser of two multi-family projects in connection with a reverse 1031 exchange.
- State Bar of Michigan
Business and Real Property Law Sections
- American Bar Association
Business, Real Property, Probate, and Trusts Sections
Member, Bar Admissions
Board of Directors and Past President
- Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit
Co-Chair of Executive Committee and Past President
- Child Safe Michigan