Joey Balthazor is an associate in the firm's Intellectual Property practice. He counsels clients on a variety of intellectual property-related matters.
Joey is a graduate of Mitchell Hamline School of Law. During law school, he served as the Symposium Issue Editor for the Mitchell Hamline Law Review, Volume 43 and the President of the Mitchell Hamline Chapter of the Federal Bar Association. He also competed on behalf of Mitchell Hamline in the National Moot Court competition and received the Federal Bar Association Harry A. Sieben Scholarship Award.
Joey earned a Bachelor of Arts in Economics with a minor in Spanish Studies from the University of Minnesota. At Minnesota, he played NCAA Division One football for the Golden Gophers, lettering three years as a walk on and earning Academic All-Big Ten honors. After completing his undergraduate degree, Joey earned a Master’s of Education degree in Sport Management from the University of Minnesota.
After law school, Joey clerked for the Honorable Jill Flaskamp Halbrooks at the Minnesota Court of Appeals. He is currently a member of the Warren E. Burger Inn of Court.
Honoree, Best Lawyers® "Ones to Watch," Litigation - Intellectual Property, Litigation - Labor and Employment (2022 - 2023)
Taft Pro Bono Honor Roll Award
North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association (2020)
All Service Areas
- Mitchell Hamline School of Law
summa cum laude
- University of Minnesota
- University of Minnesota
B.A., Academic All-Big Ten
- State - Minnesota
Speeches and Publications
- Author, "What the Data Says About the First Six Months of the Trademark Modernization Act," World Trademark Review Weekly. (June 30, 2022)
- Author, "Nike Sues Retail Platform Over NFTs in Potentially Precedent-Setting Case," World Trademark Review Weekly. (May 19, 2022)
- Author, "NFTs, Trademarks and Sneakers: a Nike Story," World Trademark Review Weekly. (May 12, 2022)
- Co-presenter on the topic of cryptocurrency and NFTs for the Kansas Paralegal Association's 45th Annual Seminar. (June 17, 2022)
- Moderator, "ESI Best Practices panel," 2022 Federal Bar Association Minnesota Chapter Annual Seminar. (June 14, 2022)
- Co-presenter on the role of cryptocurrency, NFTs, and other digital assets in divorce for the 2022 Minnesota Family Law Institute. (March 22, 2022)
- Author, "What the Numbers Reveal About the Trademark Modernization Act so Far," World Trademark Review Weekly. (March 10, 2022)
- Co-presenter on the role of cryptocurrency, NFTs, and other digital assets in divorce for the Johnson County Bar Association. (March 10, 2022)
- Co-presenter, “Everything Family Lawyers Need to Know About Digital Assets: Cryptocurrency, NFTs, and Their Role in Divorce,” Minnesota CLE Advanced Family Law Program. (November 2021)
- Federal Bar Association
Community Outreach Committee - Co-Chair, Minnesota Chapter