Michael is a partner in Taft’s Commercial Litigation practice. He centers his practice in the areas of complex commercial litigation, partnership and shareholder disputes, real estate litigation, class action litigation, construction disputes, and employment and non-compete disputes. He represents a variety of sophisticated clients, including publicly traded companies; private equity funds and their portfolio companies; and national, regional, and local real estate companies. Michael also handles all transactional aspects of affordable housing. In the automotive dealership industry, Michael handles transactional and litigation-related matters.
Michael advises his clients on the litigation aspects of business purchase and sale agreements, trade secrets, restrictive covenants in employment agreements, and real estate purchase and sale agreements. His litigation practice includes all elements of initial pleading and case management, discovery, substantive motions, trial and appeals.
Michael is admitted to practice in several states and is a member of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), where he is frequently invited to speak on litigation and dispute resolution.
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Real Estate (2024)
Honoree, Class of 2023 Hall of Fame, Michigan Lawyers Weekly
Honoree, Leading Lawyers (2021)
Honoree, Michigan Jewish Sports Hall of Fame (2018)
Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers (2011 – 2021)
Honoree, Michigan Lawyers Weekly “Lawyer of the Year” (2007)
Honoree, Crain’s Detroit Business “40 Under 40” (2007)
All Service Areas
- Detroit College of Law
Member, Detroit College Law Review
- University of Colorado
- State - Michigan
- State - Illinois
- State - Florida
- Successfully prosecuted a shareholder oppression claim resulting in a settlement in excess of $17 million to the client.
- Successfully represented an automotive dealership in a theft of trade secrets case.
- Successfully resolved a partnership dispute resulting in a reduction of exposure of more than $100 million.
- Represented plaintiff in an oppression case and settled for $17.5 million lump sum after an initial offer of $3 million over 10 years.
- Represented defendants in an oppression case where plaintiff was seeking dissolution of a profitable enterprise and reached a favorable settlement in excess of $30 million.
- Represented a defendant in a TCPA class action seeking more than $25 million, settled for low five figures after motions to dismiss were filed.
- Represented a plaintiff in a $3.5 million settlement of an oppression fraud claim in the cannabis space.
- Successfully defended a private equity portfolio company against a $27 million representations and warranty claim.
- Successfully defended an insurer against a representations and warranty claim on a $2.3 billion investment.
- Successfully won a multimillion-dollar settlement against a public company involving breach of fiduciary duties.
- Successfully represented a contractor against a $72 million claim brought by a municipality.
- Obtained a $4 million settlement for a buyer of an e-commerce digital company.
- Successfully litigated a specific performance claim on a $5.2 million real estate purchase.
- Successfully completed a business divorce of a multimillion-dollar surveying company.
- Successfully defended a municipal audit seeking multimillions in reimbursement for contractor client.
Speeches and Publications
- “Defeating Class Certification In A Residential Mold Case,” Mealey’s Litigation Report, Vol. 3, #3 (2003).
- “Private Equity in the Cannabis Space; Advantages and Pitfalls,” ICLE’s 4th Annual Marijuana Law Conference, October 2019.
- “Listen Now! Real Estate of Mind,” Farbman Group podcast, February 2017.
- Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce
- State Bar of Michigan
- Florida Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Friends of CARE House
Gala Co-Chair (2018-2019, 2023)
- American Heart Association
Executive Committee Member