As a solutions-oriented commercial finance attorney, Mike protects the interests of banks and other lenders in structuring, negotiating and documenting asset-based lending and traditional loan transactions, syndicated credit facilities and construction and real estate loans. He also represents banks and other lenders in workouts, restructurings and other transactions intended to address issues with defaulting borrowers.
With nearly 20 years of experience representing lenders, clients appreciate Mike’s easy-going style and practical approach to dealing with issues that arise in transactions and finding solutions that help deals get closed.
As the Practice Group Chair for the Finance group at Taft, Mike is an active leader focused on innovating how we provide legal services to our commercial finance clients and better partner with them to achieve their business objectives. Of particular focus for Mike is developing tools that improve the predictability, transparency and efficiency of legal fees in commercial finance transactions.
Honoree, BTI Client Service All-Star (2019)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America®, Banking Law, Banking and Finance Law
Honoree, Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers
All Service Areas
- University of Wisconsin Law School (2002)
- University of Minnesota (1998)
- State - Minnesota
- State - Wisconsin
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- Federal - Western District of Wisconsin
Mike has acted as agent's counsel in connection with:
- $175,000,000 secured, syndicated revolving credit facility to an auto parts distribution company with a national footprint.
- $140,000,000 secured, syndicated revolving credit facility to a company that specializes in bulk warehousing, cold storage and managing transportation logistics.
- $135,000,000 secured, syndicated revolving credit facility to a group of telecommunications service and equipment wholesale companies.
- $95,000,000 secured, syndicated revolving credit facility to a large dairy cooperative.
- $80,000,000 secured, syndicated revolving credit and term loan facility to manufacturer of groundbreaking, bulk material handling conveyors and cutting-edge components.
- $80,000,000 secured, syndicated revolving credit facility to a company that specializes in sourcing and distributing both common and exotic ingredients for a wide variety of food and product manufacturers.
- $75,000,000 secured, syndicated revolving credit facility to a company that manufactures, markets and distributes various after-market automotive products.
- $68,000,000 secured, syndicated revolving credit and term loan facility to a large dairy processing company.
Mike has acted as lender's counsel in connection with:
- $100,000,000 secured, revolving credit facility to a family of companies that markets, stores and distributes bulk petroleum products throughout the Upper Midwest.
- $55,000,000 secured, revolving credit facility to a meat processing and distribution company.
- $40,000,000 secured, revolving credit facility to a company that provides process improvement services to large national companies.
- $35,000,000 secured, revolving credit facility to an agricultural and heavy equipment dealer with locations across the United States.
- $30,000,000 secured, revolving credit facility to a food service distribution company that services restaurants, health care facilities, schools and other institutional users.
- $27,000,000 secured, revolving credit facility to a conglomerate of companies specializing in the wholesale marketing, bulk delivery and bulk storage of petroleum products.
- $20,000,000 secured, revolving credit facility to an online discount retailer.
- acquisition of a portfolio of equipment and dealer finance term loans and lines of credit in excess of $300,000,000.
Mike's bankruptcy and workout representative experience includes:
- Counsel for a large regional lender in connection with a $115 million real estate workout involving over 30 properties in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Kansas and Florida.
- Counsel for a large regional lender in connection with a $15 million real estate workout involving a residential development company.
- Counsel to a national real estate developer in connection with a tenant bankruptcy and lease rejection involving a 300,000 square foot build-to-suit manufacturing facility.
- Counsel to a national commodity trading company in connection with a multi-million dollar workout and restructuring with a defaulting customer.
- Counsel to a large national boat manufacturer in connection with numerous bankruptcy cases in various jurisdictions involving failed boat dealerships.
- Counsel for a large utility provider in connection with a large preference complaint in the bankruptcy of a national food distributor.
- Counsel for a national cooperative in connection with a multi-million dollar preference complaint in the bankruptcy of an ethanol producer.
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Secured Finance Network