Mark specializes in the development and leasing of commercial real estate; financing and leasing of office, industrial, apartment, and retail projects nationwide; complex mixed-use condominium developments; complex development ground leases and concession agreements; and buying and selling all types of developed and undeveloped real estate, including manufactured housing communities, recreational vehicle communities, marinas, and multifamily housing communities. He has represented developers, buyers, sellers, and landlords nationwide for more than 35 years.
Mark’s clients typically engage his services soon after they begin considering a transaction, allowing him the opportunity to spend considerable time coming to understand their goals. He drafts sophisticated documents in support of unique, complicated transactions, including issues such as titles, surveys, zoning, and internal and external project management, and negotiating commercial leases with the goal of poising his client for success in a cost-effective manner. He has also worked in land acquisition and land use. His clients are active internationally, including within Canada, the Caribbean, and Mexico.
Honored with the C. Robert Wartell Distinguished Service Award, Mark has been an adjunct professor of Real Estate Development at the University of Michigan Law School since 2013. He is one of the few members of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers located in the Midwest.
Recipient, C. Robert Wartell Distinguished Service Award, State Bar of Michigan Real Property Section (2016)
Honoree, Top Rated Lawyer in Corporate Real Estate, The American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel (2012, 2014)
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law (2014 – present)
Honoree, Top Lawyer, DBusiness (2015 – present)
Honoree, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Real Estate (2007 – present)
Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers, Real Estate (2006 – present)
All Service Areas
- Wayne State University Law School
J.D., cum laude
Order of the coif
- University of Michigan
Speeches and Publications
- “Commercial Lease Clauses Concerning the Construction of Tenant Improvements,” Michigan Real Property Review (2007).
- “Annual Survey of Real Property Law,” The Wayne Law Review (1993).
- “Derivative Suits and the Special Litigation Committee – A Question of Balance in Michigan Law,” The Wayne Law Review (1983).
- Build to Suit Leases State Bar (2016).
- Restrictive Covenants in Retail Leasing, ACREL (2015).
- Real Property Law, Legal Update, State Bar (2015).
- Purchasing, Selling and Financing Multifamily and Manufactured Housing Properties ICLE and State Bar (2013).
- Recourse Liability for Non-Recourse Loans-State Bar (Real Property & Business Law Sections) (2011, 2012).
- Real Property Law, Legal Update, ICSC (2008—2016).
- Negotiating Commercial/Office Leases-ICLE and State Bar (2012, 2010, 2006).
- Transfer Taxes – ICSC (2009).
- Drafting Around the Problem – Purchase Agreement and through Closing-State Bar (2008).
- Complex Commercial and Mixed-Use Condominium Conversions – State Bar (2007).
- Real Estate Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions, Michigan Assoc. CPAs, 2007
- Everyday Solutions to Common (But Increasingly Complex) Real Estate Problems, ICLE (2007).
- Relationship between Lender, Landlords, and Tenants – ICLE (2006).
- Structure of Commercial Lease – NBI (2006).
- Fundamental Lease Provisions for a Single Tenant Facility, a Shopping Center and an Office Building-State Bar (2006).
- Medical Office Developments and Leasing-BOMA (2006).
- Drafting and Negotiating Ground Leases-State Bar (2005).
- Drafting and Negotiating Commercial Lease, NBI (2003, 2005).
- Complex Lease Provisions, Michigan Commercial Brokers (2005).
- Complex Option Terms – State Bar (2004).
- Drafting Commercial Real Estate Documents, ICLE (2003).
- Telecommunications and Real Estate – State Bar (2001).
- Drafting and Negotiating Insurance Clauses in Leases – ICLE (2000).
- Impact of Bankruptcy on Commercial Leases – ICLE (1998).
- Easements & Use Restrictions – State Bar (1996).
- Boundary Law – NBI (1992).
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers
Chair Designate, Programs Committee
- State Bar of Michigan
Chairman, Real Property Section
Member and Former Chair, Commercial Leasing Section
- American Bar Association
Sections of Real Property and Business Law
- University of Michigan Law School
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
Former Board Member, Real Property Advisor
- Roeper School
Past Vice Chair, Board of Trustees
Member, Executive and Finance Committees
- Wolverine Sports Club