Manny is an experienced litigator and municipal lawyer who employs a client-focused and practical approach to all legal issues.
He routinely represents businesses of all sizes and public clients in state and federal courts across the country concerning business and contract disputes, shareholder disputes, injunctive relief, trade secret and fraud claims, trademark disputes, construction disputes, director and officer liability issues, and in class action and multi-district litigation. Manny also acts as co-national litigation counsel for a large manufacturer. In that role, he leads and manages litigation across the nation and also advises on issues that help move the business forward.
Manny takes a practical and focused approach to municipal representation, with experience advising towns, cities, counties, townships, and commissions on a variety of matters, including: eminent domain, service contract negotiations, employee discipline and discharge, vendor contract negotiation, election matters, and access to public records and open door law issues. In addition, he has experience and expertise advising municipal clients, private entities and universities on state and local procurement issues, and challenging procurement determinations.
Manny is proud to stand with Indiana municipalities in federal court in national multi-district litigation to address the opioid crisis. In Re: National Prescription Opiate Litigation, Case No. 1:17-md-02804-DAP.
He graduated from Indiana University - Bloomington and received his law degree from the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. While in law school, Manny served as an editor of the Indiana International & Comparative Law Review and was a civil procedure fellow and individual tutor for the Dean's Tutorial Society. Manny also served as a clerk in the Indiana Court of Appeals. He has been selected as an Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Star and is a graduate of the Stanley K. Lacy Executive Leadership Series, as well as the Indianapolis Bar Association’s Bar Leader Series program. Manny most recently served the Indianapolis Bar Association as counsel to the board of directors, and is a bar review lecturer for Administrative Law. He is past chair of the Indianapolis Bar Association’s Pro Bono Standing Committee and has served on its Nominating Committee.
Manny is a frequent presenter on issues affecting municipalities and businesses and writes on a variety of topics.
Manny is a member of the board of directors for St. Mary’s Child Center and is a volunteer and speaker for programs that focus on advancing opportunities for underserved youth in the city.
Honoree, Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Stars
Honoree, Ones to Watch, Best Lawyers in America® (2021)
Finalist, Indy's Best & Brightest Awards, Law Category (2017)
Distinguished Fellow, Indianapolis Bar Foundation (2018)
All Service Areas
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law
- Indiana University
- State - Indiana
- Federal - Northern District of Indiana
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois
- Federal - 7th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - U.S. Bankruptcy Court - Southern District of Indiana
- Federal - U.S. Bankruptcy Court - Eastern District of Kentucky (pro hac vice)
- Federal - District of Nevada (pro hac vice)
- Federal - Southern District of New York (pro hac vice)
- Federal - District of Colorado (pro hac vice)
Speeches and Publications
- Co-author, "Survey of Indiana Administrative Law," 52 Ind. L. Rev. 589 (2019).
- Co-author, "Survey of Indiana Administrative Law," 51 Ind. L. Rev. 895 (2018).
- Co-author, "Survey of Indiana Administrative Law," 50 Ind. L. Rev. 1115 (2017).
- Author, “An Ode to the Phone Call,” TYL Monthly – ABA Publication (July 20, 2017).
- Editorial Advisory Board, "Indiana School Laws and Rules," 2014-2015, 2015-2016 & 2016-2017, West Publishing.
- Author, “Millennials Unite: Join Up and #SHOWUP for Yourself and Your Community,” The Indiana Lawyer.
- Author, "Commonly Asked Questions Guide for Volunteer Attorneys," Indianapolis Bar Association/Foundation-Editor of “School Law” section (2014-2015, 2015-2016).
- Practice Advisories: "Changes to Indiana’s Anti-Bullying Law – An Insight Into the Exceptions" and "Expunged Record Disclosure and the Effect on Hiring and Operations."
- Quoted in Indianapolis Star article, "Free Legal Advice Offered at Ask a Lawyer Event," (Sept. 30, 2015).
- "When You Can't Wait - TROs and Injunctions: An Interactive Discussion," Indianapolis Bar Association, Oct. 27, 2020.
- "Briefs, Demands, and Emails: Effective Legal Writing," Indianapolis Bar Association, July 1, 2020.
- "Managing the COVID-19 Budget Fallout," OnBoard webinar with Adarsh Montvardi and Jason Dudich, May 14, 2020.
- "Ordinances and Resolutions," Co-presenter, AIM, Indiana League of Municipal Clerks and Treasurers - 23rd Annual ILMCT Institute & Academy, March 12, 2018.
- "Tact and Professionalism in the Public Sector Workplace," Panelist, AIM, Indiana League of Municipal Clerks and Treasurers - 23rd Annual ILMCT Institute & Academy, March 12, 2018.
- "Access to Public Records – Emails, Tweets, and More," Indiana Mayors Assistants Association, Feb. 23, 2018.
- “Social Media’s Impact on the Ethics of our Changing Practice,” American Inn of Court, November 17, 2016.
- “Social Media and Its Effect on Education”, Indiana Council of Administrators of Special Education – October 2, 2014.
- “Significant Pre-Employment Considerations Impacting Public Schools: The New Law on Criminal Record Expungement; Updating Application Forms; Criminal History Responsibilities; and Drug Testing” – December 13, 2013.
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law , Panel speaker at student orientation – numerous.
- Naturalization Ceremony Speaker, Indianapolis – (2012 (April and October), 2013 (August), 2015 (June).
- Indianapolis Bar Association
Vice President, Board of Directors
Member, Bar Leader Series Steering Committee
Bar Review Lecturer, Administrative Law
Member, Nominating Committee
Former Chair, Pro Bono Standing Committee
- Indianapolis Bar Foundation
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Member, Litigation Section
- Indiana Municipal Lawyers Association
- Indianapolis American Inn of Court
- Indianapolis Bar Association - Bar Leader Series XII
- Stanley K. Lacy Executive Leadership Series
Graduate, Class XLII
- St. Mary’s Child Center
Member, Board of Directors
Co-Chair, Spring Soiree (2017 and 2018)
Former Co-Chair, Spring Soiree Items Subcommittee
- Storytelling Arts of Indiana
Past Member, Board of Directors
- Lockerbie Square People Club
- Taft Pro Bono Committee