Kodi Verhalen is a Partner in the Energy Practice Group and is licensed in Minnesota and Wisconsin. She also is licensed as a professional engineer in Minnesota and served as the 2016-2017 president of the National Society of Professional Engineers – a 31,000-member organization. Kodi was the youngest person, and the third woman, in the organization’s history to hold the office of president.
Before joining the firm, Kodi worked in the environmental services department of a Minnesota electric utility company in the areas of hazardous and universal waste compliance, greenhouse gas reporting, ISO 14001 compliance, stormwater pollution prevention for linear transmission projects, and local, state and federal permitting for transmission projects.
Clients rely on Kodi’s broad experience in energy and environmental matters at the federal, state, and local levels.
In her environmental practice, Kodi provides clients with strategic and business-minded solutions across many areas of regulation. She counsels clients on environmental due diligence as part of business transactions; provides general environmental compliance assistance across all environmental media; assists in developing strategies around environmental management systems; manages a portfolio of discontinued operation sites with environmental contamination across the United States for a multinational company; represents a group of companies performing remediation activities at a federal Superfund site; assists clients in navigating environmental enforcement actions, self-reporting, and voluntary cleanup or remediation programs; and counsels clients on a variety of natural resource law issues.
In Kodi’s energy practice, she works with clients to navigate state regulatory requirements. Kodi has assisted clients in obtaining regulatory approvals for electric and natural gas infrastructure projects; navigating rate and other contested case proceedings and related appeals; and developing overall strategy for presenting various regulatory and legal issues to utilities commissions.
While in law school, Kodi served as an editor for Cybaris, an Intellectual Property Law Review.
American Bar Association On the Rise: Top 40 Young Lawyer, 2018
Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer, 2018
University of Minnesota Duluth Academy of Science and Engineering, Inductee, 2018
Honoree, Super Lawyers Rising Stars
Fellow, National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE), 2012
Young Engineer of the Year, Minnesota Society of Professional Engineers (MnSPE), 2010
All Service Areas
- William Mitchell College of Law
J.D., cum laude
- University of Minnesota at Duluth
B.S., Chemical Engineering
- State - Minnesota
- Federal - District of Minnesota
- State - Wisconsin
- Guided clients through Minnesota Certificate of Need and Route Permit process. Prepared witness for Certificate of Need and Route Permit public and evidentiary hearings, drafted testimony, and appeared on behalf of applicants.
- Guided client through local review permit process in lieu of seeking Commission approval for small 115 kV transmission projects.
- Represented power generation entity regarding the design and construction projects using various project delivery systems including EPC, design, supply, furnish, and install.
- Guided client through routing and permitting of 13-mile natural gas pipeline, including drafting of application, comments, testimony, and briefs; preparing witnesses for meetings and hearings; and appearing on behalf of client.
- Counseled client on requirements to obtain a Take Permit under the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act. Assisted Client in obtaining said permit.
- Counseled clients on environmental matters associated with corporate mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures.
- Guided client through state-level public utility rate review including developing overall strategy, drafting witness pre-filed testimony, participating in contested case hearings, drafting briefs, and participating in related appeals.
- Managed multi-state portfolio of discontinued operations locations through allocation, environmental remediation, and post-closure care.
- Represented a group of companies, as common counsel, related to remediation of a federal Superfund site.
- Guided clients through self-reporting of environmental violations, state and federal enforcement actions, and new owners’ environmental audit policy issues.
- Counseled client on conflict of interest issues related to signed agreements and obligations with respect to Professional Engineer licenses.