Businesses and individuals turn to Julia for counsel and advocacy in their most important matters.
Julia is a partner in Taft's Litigation, Health & Life Sciences and Private Client groups and heads the firm's Cincinnati Fiduciary Litigation practice. She has first chair bench and jury trial experience at the trial level and has represented clients in appeals and in alternative dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration. Julia has prevailed for the plaintiff and for the defense in challenges to estate planning documents and fiduciary conduct. She counsels clients and represents them in business, class action, commercial, estate, guardianship, trust and fiduciary matters and professional ethics and discipline matters before courts, administrative tribunals and arbitrators. Julia’s practice includes health care issues, such as privacy, statutory compliance and decision making by health care surrogates. In addition, she represents clients in disciplinary proceedings and investigations before licensing boards and professional societies.
Julia has been named Cincinnati Litigation - “ERISA Lawyer of the Year" twice and Cincinnati Litigation - “Trusts and Estates Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America. She is recognized in five categories by Best Lawyers (Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Banking & Finance; Litigation - ERISA; Litigation - Trusts & Estates; and Trusts and Estates).
Julia is an elected fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and a frequent author and instructor at programs for attorneys, judges, and magistrates. She is consistently rated "AV Preeminent" by Martindale-Hubbell, recognized by Ohio Super Lawyers as one of Cincinnati's top 25 Women Attorneys, and named a Super Lawyer for Business Litigation each year since 2012. She is a fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America and has been recognized in multiple years, most recently 2017, by Cincy Magazine as a “Leading Lawyer” for Litigation. Julia is serving her second term as co-chair of the American Bar Association Ethics and Malpractice Committee of the Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section and serves as a “Settlement Week” mediator for cases in the United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio. She also serves as an appointed member of the Ohio State Bar Association's Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law Section Council and served on the Ohio Supreme Court's Summit on Aging, combating elder abuse.
Julia was named one of the Cincinnati Business Courier's “Forty Under Forty” emerging leaders. In 2016, she received the Cincinnati Bar Association’s Warrington Community Service Award, and in 2015, she was honored as a “Woman Making a Difference” by Notre Dame Academy. Julia was recognized by the YWCA Academy of Career Women of Achievement as a Rising Star and currently serves as a member of the YWCA’s Racial Justice Committee. She is active in several legal and community organizations, including:
- Vice president, executive committee member and trustee of the Cincinnati Opera Association.
- Trustee of the Legal Aid Society Board.
- SoleMate Fundraiser for Girls on the Run of Greater Cincinnati.
- Cincinnati Bar Association Awards Committee (member).
- Cincinnati Bar Association Certified Grievance Committee (member).
- Cincinnati Bar Association Admissions Committee (member and past chair).
- Scholarship Committee for The Cincinnati Business and Professional Women’s Scholarship Fund, administered by The Greater Cincinnati Foundation.
- Cincinnati Area Senior Services Board of Directors (past member and chair).
Julia graduated with honors from Xavier University and the Notre Dame Law School. She served as an editor of the Notre Dame Journal of Law Ethics and Public Policy and received the A. Harold Weber award for Excellence in Legal Writing. She worked in administration at the Notre Dame Law School and currently serves as an adjunct professor at the University of Cincinnati School of Law.
Listed in Best Lawyers in America
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers in America
(ERISA Litigation and Trust & Estate Litigation)
Honoree, Litigation - Leading Lawyers (2014-present)
Honoree, Business Litigation - Ohio Super Lawyers (2012-present)
Named Top 25 Super Lawyers - Cincinnati (2015-2017)
Named "Rising Star" By Ohio Super Lawyers (2005-2007)
Honoree, "Forty under 40" by Cincinnati Business Courier (2008)
Honoree, Warrington Community Service Award by the Cincinnati Bar Association (2016)
All Service Areas
- University of Notre Dame Law School (1995)
- Xavier University (1991)
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Southern District of Indiana
- Federal - Southern District of Ohio
- Federal - U.S. Tax Court
- Federal - 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals
- State - Ohio
- American Bar Association (Member, Probate Trust and Real Property Section; Member, Litigation Section)
- American Bar Association (Litigation, Ethics and Malpractice Co-Chair)
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (Fellow)
- AV Peer Review Rating (LexisNexis/Martindale-Hubbell)
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers (CALL) (2004 Graduate)
- Cincinnati Bar Association (Past President and Current Member, Admissions Committee, Worthington Community Service Award Recipient)
- Cincinnati Bar Association (2012 Confidential Judicial Evaluation Committee)
- Cincinnati Bar Association (Board-Appointed Committee Leadership and Certified Grievance Committee Member)
- Cincinnati Bar Association (Board-Appointed Awards Committee Member)
- Diversity Law Institute (Member)
- Leadership Cincinnati (Class 41)
- Litigation Counsel of America (Fellow)
- Ohio State Bar Association (Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Section Council and Section Member; Litigation Section Member)
- Ohio Trust Code joint Bar/Bankers Committee (Member)
- One Hundred Wise Women (Wise Woman, 2007)
- Professional Women's Resource Group (Member, Breakfast Forum Series Chair)
- The Trial Law Institute (Member )
- Cincinnati Area Senior Services, Inc. (Past President, Board Chair)
- Cincinnati Opera (Vice President, Executive Committee Member, Trustee)
- Cincinnati Shakespeare Company (Past Board Member and Executive Committee Member)
- Greater Cincinnati Foundation (Scholarship Committee for The Cincinnati Business and Professional Women’s Scholarship Fund)
- Girls on the Run of Cincinnati, Inc. (Volunteer)
- Legal Aid Society of Cincinnati (Board of Trustees)
- Notre Dame Academy (“Woman Making a Difference” Award Recipient)
- Notre Dame Club (Member)
- Xavier University Alumni Association (Member)
- Xavier University Executive Mentoring Program (Mentor)
- YWCA Academy of Career Women of Achievement (Rising Star)
- YWCA (Member, Racial Justice Committee)