Jonathan is a partner in Taft’s Commercial Litigation practice who works closely with the firm’s Appellate, Employment and Labor Relations, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation, Insurance Recovery, and Intellectual Property practice groups.
Jonathan represents and advises clients in a variety of high-profile business, commercial, employment, real estate, intellectual property, First Amendment, and entertainment legal matters in Michigan, across the United States, and internationally. His clients have included multinational corporations, successful technology start-ups, Fortune 500 executives, legendary musicians and artists, life-changing charities, and entrepreneurs in every industry imaginable.
In addition to his extensive work on trials and appeals, Jonathan assists clients with forming, growing, acquiring, and selling businesses and assets. He drafts and enforces contracts and agreements and resolves the trickiest employment issues. Known as a “deal maker,” Jonathan also negotiates and closes agreements and resolves complex disputes, while at all times vigorously defending the reputations, interests, intellectual property and Constitutional rights of his diverse client base. He is relentlessly dedicated to providing successful results and exceptional service, and treats his devoted clients like family.
Recipient, Oakland County Bar Association Leon Hubbard Community Service Award (2021)
Honoree, “Most Valuable Millennial,” Corp! (2021)
Recipient, Southfield Chamber of Commerce Excellence in the City Award (2020)
Honoree, Detroit Jewish News and The Well’s 36 Under 36 (2017)
Recipient, Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association’s “One to Watch” Award (2016)
Honoree, Oakland County Executive‘s Elite 40 Under 40 (2016)
Honoree, Top Lawyer, Dbusiness, Commercial Litigation (2015)
“Up & Coming Lawyer” Honoree, Michigan Lawyers Weekly (2015)
Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2013 – 2022)
Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers, Business Litigation (2023)
All Service Areas
- Wayne State University Law School
- University of Michigan
- State - Michigan
- Federal - Eastern District of Michigan
- Federal - Western District of Michigan
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Successfully represented clients in a variety of bench and jury trials.
- Negotiated key strategic partnership with a global corporate partner for technology start-up client.
- Represented Fortune 500 company executives in multimillion-dollar contract negotiations.
- Led legal team spearheading the eight-figure sale of medical/tech business.
- Helped negotiate and launch an Emmy-nominated television show on the CW Network.
- Coordinated all legal aspects of a charity’s national expansion.
- Obtained injunction against former employees who misappropriated client’s confidential customer list.
- Achieved several favorable legal rulings for a large municipality, clearing the way for construction of a nine-figure major public works project.
- Defeated injunction motion filed against clients in litigation involving the breakup of multiple medical businesses.
- Obtained a $1,550,000 judgment (reported as one of the largest that year) against a corporate client’s former employee for fraud and embezzlement.
- Prevailed in oral arguments before the seven federal judges comprising the U.S. Panel on Multidistrict Litigation.
Speeches and Publications
- “Holocaust Victims and Heirs Seek Justice From Defiant Global Insurance Companies,” The Detroit Jewish News (2021)
- Jewish Bar Association of Michigan
Co-Founder and President (Emeritus)
- State Bar of Michigan
Chair Emeritus, Arts, Communications, Entertainment and Sports Section
- American Inns of Court, Oakland County Chapter
- TechTown Detroit
- NEXTGen Detroit
- Humble Design
Chair, Detroit Board of Trustees
Member, National Board of Trustees
- Patriot Week Foundation
Member, Executive Board
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit
Member, Board of Governors