Jeff represents private companies, family offices, private equity funds, and public companies in mergers and acquisitions, with a focus on first-time sellers in transactions with purchase prices ranging from $20 - $500 million.
During his career, Jeff has closed more than 350 M&A transactions. Approximately 50 of such M&A transactions have been Section 363 sales under the Bankruptcy Code, assignments for the benefit of creditors, or other distressed transactions. He also advises companies on private placements, start-ups, equity compensation and joint ventures. He serves clients in a broad range of industries, including logistics, retail, food and beverage, technology, chemicals, transportation, healthcare, distribution, manufacturing, and service businesses.
Honoree, Leading Lawyers Network (2014 - present)
AV Peer Review Rating (LexisNexis/Martindale-Hubbell)
All Service Areas
- University of Chicago Law School
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
B.S. with high honors
- State - Illinois
- State - Florida
- Sale of a software application development business, based in India and the U.S., to a U.S. competitor.
- Sale of a distributor of specialized tools to a public company with a competing business (seven years after representing the ownership group in its acquisition of this distribution business).
- Represented a printing business in the purchase of a printing facility from one of its competitors.
- Sale of partners’ interests in a food ingredients brokerage business to the remaining partner.
- Sale of a health care data analytics company to a public company competitor.
- Represented a start-up internet service provider in multiple acquisitions as part of its roll-up strategy.
- Sale of a consumer goods brokerage services provider to one of its competitors.
- Sale of a leading manufacturer of nurse call stations to a diversified public company.
- Represented a manufacturer and distributor of aircraft parts in the acquisition of a legacy aircraft parts business from an aircraft engine manufacturer.
- Represented a professional partnership in the sale of two of its divisions.
- Represented a family office in the sale of its successful start-up in the Illinois video gambling industry.
- Represented a London-headquartered public company in a combined stock and asset purchase of four corrugated packaging facilities in Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee.
- Represented an Oregon-based manufacturer of audio and video equipment in a sale to a large family office.
- Served as U.S. counsel for a London-based company in connection with the sale of a division that manufactures and distributes aircraft equipment in the U.S. and in Europe.
- Sale of a manufacturer of high-performance automotive parts to a private equity firm.
- Sale of a minority interest in a franchisor of fresh fruit bouquet retail stores to a private equity fund.
- Represented multiple management groups involved in sales of portfolio companies from one private equity firm to another private equity firm, including sales of a leading supplier of mobile storage solutions, a manufacturer of snack products, a manufacturer of coatings for the printing industry and a provider of boiler room products and systems.
- Represented a private equity fund in the sale of a leading provider of vehicle service contracts.
- Represented a national fast-casual restaurant franchise in the sale of a minority interest to a San Francisco-based private equity firm.
Speeches and Publications
- Presenter, “Selling a Middle-Market Business to a Private Equity Fund - Advice
from Both Sides of the Table,” Chicago Bar Association’s Business Transactions
Committee (March 4, 2021).
- Presenter, "M&A 101: Legal Issues in the Sale of a Business," National Association
of Presort Mailers 2019 Annual Conference (February 2019).
- Co-presenter, "Drafting and Negotiation of Executive Employment Agreements,"
Chicago Bar Association (April 2015).
- Presenter, "When to Consider a Private Equity Deal and How to Make It Work,"
Webinar (June 2013).
- Presenter, "What’s the Deal? Managing Merger and Acquisition Risk,” Marsh's
Academy of Risk (October 2010).
- Presenter, "Distressed M&A: Trends in 2010," (February 2010).
- Presenter, "Role of the CFO," Heartland Angels (November 2009).
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Illinois Venture Capital Association