Jim is a partner in Taft’s Commercial Litigation, Appellate, and Construction practice groups. He serves as chair of the Detroit Litigation and Appellate practices.
Specializing in appeals, Jim’s work focuses on complex commercial business disputes, including contract disputes, shareholder disputes, and corporate transactions. He has a comprehensive background in commercial real estate transactions, including finance matters. With an eye for the big picture in every instance, Jim’s focus is not simply to win the case, but to achieve the most favorable outcome for his client. He is well-known and highly respected by colleagues and state and federal appellate judges.
Jim has been a regular contributor to an Institute of Continuing Education (ICLE) publication. He has served as a member of the Detroit office recruiting committee for more than 10 years.
Honoree, Best Lawyers in America, Appellate Practice (2023 -2024)
Honoree, DBusiness Top Lawyer (2020)
Honoree, Michigan Super Lawyers Rising Stars, General Litigation (2008 – 2013)
All Service Areas
- University of Michigan Law School
- University of Michigan
- Federal - 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal - Eastern District of Michigan
- Federal - Western District of Michigan
- State - Michigan
- State - Michigan Court of Appeals
- State - Michigan Supreme Court
- Gwyn R Hartman Revocable Living Trust v. Southern Mich Bancorp, Inc, 780 F 3d 724 (6th Cir 2015).
- Pransky v Falcon Group, Inc, 311 Mich App 164, 874 NW 2d 367 (2015).
- Keybank Nat Ass’n v Lake Villa Oxford Assocs, LLC, 2016 WL 4954473 (Mich Ct App 2016), 500 Mich. 1058, 898 NW2d 222 (2017), cert. denied sub nom. Lake Villa Oxford Assocs., LLP v. Homestead Properties, LP, 138 S Ct 1444, 200 L Ed 2d 719 (2018).
- Brown v. Taubman Co, LLC, 489 Mich. 925, 797 NW2d 138 (2011).
Speeches and Publications
- “Appeals of Right in the Court of Appeals,” Michigan Appellate Handbook (3rd ed) (2014)
- “Do It Yourself: The Music Industry Guide to Regulation and Violent Content,” Cardozo Arts and Entertainment Law Journal (2001)
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Michigan Appellate Bench Bar Conference
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education